PDA

View Full Version : Pram Plans Redux

SHigSpeed
06-14-2010, 09:40 PM
I guess someone was naughty and got my thread deleted, so...

I'm feeling a little crafty and might be game for a boat project. There's a growing space in the garage, and I already have a tube, 'toon, raft, and now I'm looking to build a pram.

I have a TIG and some torch saavy and am handy with the bandsaw so I'm thinking aluminum.

I've been looking around online for decent plans but everything is for wooden construction that I've seen so far.

My design goals are:

- Car toppable, 8' long
- 50 lbs is the stretch goal, 65 is probably acceptable
- Electric motor capable
- 350# capacity?
- Light river duty (row out, anchor, fish, row back), no rapids running
- Mostly stillwater, double anchor, oars, single seat or single plus kid
- Stable to stand in, easy to row with a good glide (though anything is probably easier to row than a pontoon)

Looking for links to plans or pics or email them to SHigSpeed at yahoo dot com. ;)

I don't want an America's Cup pram that'll buckle if beached wrong, but I don't need anything that can withstand a direct hit from a destroyer.

My wet dream of a boat would be a carbon fiber sided, kevlar bottomed 30 pounder, but that's for another lifetime...

Is this a good idea or do I already have all I need in the armada that I have amassed in the garage as is?

_SHig

Darian
06-15-2010, 08:58 AM
IMHO,.... Prams are always a good thing. :D I've had a pram since the mid-70's and find that the only downside is loading it up on top of the truck after a long day of fishing/rowing. That could be solved by using a small trailer and trolling motor.... ;)

Sounds like a great project. :D

Tony Buzolich
06-15-2010, 09:21 AM
If you have a full size truck it should neatly in the bed without having to put it on the roof. I've got a Lil' Drifter and it fits perfectly in the bed of my Dodge.
TONY

jerry from sac
06-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Shig,
Your welcome to come over and see, photo, measure my boat.
I live in Carmichael.
-- jerry

Randy B
06-20-2010, 10:17 PM
Here's a pic of a completed boat. Obviosuly you can customize any way you see fit.

Here is the link to other pics of these prams. http://www.butlerprojects.com/boats/montanapram/index.htm

Ed Wahl
06-20-2010, 11:18 PM
How about we do us a pram day out at Fuller? Bring 'em all out.

Any interest?

Ed

SHigSpeed
06-21-2010, 06:41 AM
That'd be great.

In honor of the new A-Team movie, "I love it when the Prams come together"!

We could do prams vs tubes?

_SHig

Black Cloud
06-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Shig, I sent you a Pm. Something is wrong with my service because I can't post pics on the board. I need someone smarter the me to figure it out, so that means waiting for my wife to get home.