PDA

View Full Version : Flying Ant Sightings in the Truckee area?

Frank R. Pisciotta
06-14-2010, 07:22 AM
In a previous thread entitled "Big T is Game on Again!!" BigFly and Victorm have...rightfully... advised having Black Flying Ant patterns in your quiver. I agree in that they have been producing some trout in the Truckee area during the last week.

During the last four days I have been at 10-12 different riparian areas and 6-7different bodies of water; both still and running waters.
It seems that my fun ads in CFF of the mid-90's and the current issue and articles referring to the "Big Bugs of June" have taken hold...almost to mystical proportions. Those of us who have been in the area awhile know that some years, at times, one or all three make a minimal, if not an appearance...relative to an individual's sightings.

To date, I personally have not seen any large, (...yes I've seen #16-18's....not # 8's) black, winged ants. Does anyone have actual first-hand experience of sightings or is it the anticipation...time-wise...of their apppearannce?

Frank R. Pisciotta

bigfly
06-14-2010, 08:53 AM
Frank, they were out down by NV. line about a week ago, yesterday PM. at Glennshire.
They are moving up canyon at the speed of life. Drown one.
Maybe more importantly, the Green Drake nymphs are so swollen, they look uncomfortable.
Many March Brown nymphs in the seine yesterday and a few adults hatched midday.
Case Caddis, Rock worms, Yellow Sally's, BWO's, Micro Caddis, cream Midges in the net as well.
Flows are beautiful AM, slightly off color PM, H2O above 55 deg. for the first time yesterday about noon. Dropped to 50- later. Air temps @70, already starting to chase shade when out of the water and wearing waders.. I'm not complaining though....
9ft. leader is still a bit short for the flows. I've been adding a 3-4 ft. loop-to-loop extension with 20Lb leader. No huge bite on yet, but some nice fish holding in softer water.
They are over Winter too!

Jim

Scott V
06-14-2010, 08:55 AM
Frank, I saw big flying ants at the PG&E campground near Fuller Lake 2 weeks ago. And they were big.

gilligan
06-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Yo Franky Flav, I did see a few down here in Hirschdale today. The river had cleared since yesterday, and I did land a few on my Jesus was a Carpenter Ant. It's a big foam black ant. Not a ton down this way yet though. I got photos on my blog.

www.gilligansguideservice.com
www.gilligansguideservice.blogspot.com

michaeln
06-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Saw a few large flying ants at Lake Davis this past weekend too, but the fish seemed to be ignoring them.

troutbm
06-14-2010, 06:14 PM
There about a month late. Usually get in on some flying ant action pre runoff, Around the opener. The ones I see are 12 to 16. Black stimi. is the weapon of choice.

Frank R. Pisciotta
06-14-2010, 09:33 PM
...I saw four (4) today in Truckee at about 11:45 AM; a very sparse number. I'm speculating we'll see larger numbers if we have 3-4 consective warm days. Nevertheless, a #12 black ant pattern worked well today. So they are now in play.:nod::nod:

Frank R. Pisciotta

Ed Wahl
06-14-2010, 09:54 PM
I saw a flying squirrel on tv this morning.:rolleyes:

Ed

caltagm
06-14-2010, 10:56 PM
With a moose?

Ed Wahl
06-14-2010, 11:10 PM
YOU KNOW IT BABY!

AAAAAhahahahaha!

Ed

Terry Thomas
06-15-2010, 08:14 AM
For those people heading up for the hex class at Almanor on Friday, make sure you have some ant patterns in the box!
T.

Ralph
06-16-2010, 07:54 AM
Didn't see any ants Monday or Tuesday on T near town. Near Prosser Lake rolled over log with about 20 winged #10's underneath. Lots of termites at 5,000 ft on the west slope.

Dave E.
06-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Frank,

This past Monday at around 10:30 a.m. they started dropping at Martis. They seemed to taper off around 1:30 p.m.

If you look at the business end of my partners / photographers rod, you'll see a meaty B.F.A hanging. That's what's stuck in the corner of this little fellows chops too. It's pretty much all we fished for the remainder of the day.

Tuesday, as you know it blew like the dickens and we saw no ant fall. So we tight lined B.F.A's on a clear intermediate ( Drowned ant just under the chop ) on the upwind banklines, which worked fairly well on those fish that had been keying on them the day before.

Best, Dave

Frank R. Pisciotta
06-17-2010, 08:52 AM
Dave----Thanks for the info on Martis Lake & the ants. It has been awhile since I spend anytime there. Yes, I could be missing-out on some spring & fall fly fishing...hearing thru the grapevine that it happens at certain times.

About 8-9 years ago I no longer paid my annual fees to the Corps of Engineers for permit-authorization to guide there because the fishery was in serious decline and in need of habitat rehab; so I seldom used it. The Corps was unaware of the fishery demise and really didn't care.

Gone are the glory days of the '80's and start of the '90's. It was ritual then to be on the water at dusk for the Blood Midges, late morning fishing for the Callibaetis and mid-afternoon Damsel activity. During those times it fished exceedingly well. I spent a lot of time there both as an individual fly angler and/or while guiding.

FRank R. Pisciotta