PDA

View Full Version : Free fly fishing classes - Orvis Fly Fishing 101

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-13-2010, 12:23 PM
The Orvis Company, Trout Unlimited and Kiene's Fly Shop will have free fly fishing lessons on every Saturday morning in July @ Kiene's Fly Shop in Sacramento (9am -12am).

We will have 3 each one hour sessions where you will learn to fly cast for 1/2 hour and then get a 1/2 hour of information on leaders, knots, etc.

The idea is to expose as many people as possible to fly casting as we can to help promote this wonderful sport.

We will be having these free lessons every Saturday morning in July.

Saturday, July 3, 10, 17, 245 & 31, 2010

These 3 one hour lessons will start @ 9am, 10am and 11am

http://www.orvis.com/flyfishing101

Please RSVP to Kiene's Fly Shop in Sacramento to let us know which Saturday in July you can attend.

Each student will get one hour of free fly fishing lessons.

After the lesson you will receive a $15 savings card toward Orvis gear and a one year free $35 membership to Trout Unlimited.

Local phone: 916/486-9958
Toll free USA: 800/400-0359

We are open 7 days a week

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-14-2010, 09:44 PM
If you are new to fly fishing or have any friends or family who are or have some interest please look at your calendar in July and see if you have a Saturday morning free.

Call Kiene's fly shop 7 days a week and we can sign you up on the list for a one of our "one hour free fly fishing lessons".

We will have up to 15 people for each of our 3 one hour session each Saturday in July.

This is sponsored by Orvis, Trout Unlimited and Kiene's Fly Shop.

Casting will be out side in our back parking lot and knot and leader sessions will be in the shop.

All you need is to call in and sign up then show up with only a hat and sunglasses.

Bring you own tackle if you wish to use it or to have it evaluated. We will have outfits for everyone to cast with.

Classes will be 9am-10am, 10am-11am and 11am to 12am.

Local phone 916/486-9958
Toll free USA 800/400-0359

The idea is to expose more people to this wonderful sport.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-24-2010, 08:19 AM
Lots of people calling in and signing up for the free lessons.

If you know anyone who might like a free one hour fly fishing lesson any Saturday in July sponsored by Kiene's Fly Shop, Orvis and Trout Unlimited have them call the shop and sign up for a session.

We supply everything......

Open 7 days a week

Local 916/486-9958

Toll free USA 800/400-0359

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-30-2010, 08:13 AM
Be sure to let anyone who is interested in getting started in fly fishing know about these free lessons at Kiene's Fly Shop every Saturday morning in July.

Sponsored by TU, Orvis and Kiene's..........

All they need to do is phone our shop and get on the list.

oregonsteel
07-03-2010, 12:17 AM
Way to go Bill!! You are being smart as a fox! Not only provide a great free public service, but also hopefully increase your customer base!! I think every shop should do this just as a great business opportunity. Some of those newby's might find that their $20 wally world special is really hampering their casting and decide to upgrade too. And some newbys might find that the reason they couldnt cast and thought flyfishing sucks is because they put their line on backwards!

Shows why while other shops are going out of business Kienes has been aroundfor.... how long?
You are getting so big Bill you should open up a shop in Auborn. Never been to Davis, but it is a college town, maybe open up a shop there?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Had our first Saturday of free fly fishing lessons today.

John Hogg said they had 8 new people who all got some casting lessons and then a run down on what you might have in your fishing vest.

They all received a $15.00 free certificate for Orvis tackle at Kiene's and a free year membership to Tout Unlimited.

Call the shop and get signed up for one of the next 4 Saturdays in July, 2010

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-10-2010, 07:52 AM
Today is our second Saturday in July having free one hour fly fishing lessons for anyone who want to come to Kiene's Fly Shop.

Today we have about a dozen new folks signed up.

It will be for the next 3 Saturdays in July.

If you know anyone who wants some free casting lessons and a free years membership to Trout Unlimited and a $15 gift card from Orvis tell them about these free classes.

This is happening all over the United States too.

It is a cooperative venture between Trout Unlimited, Orvis and your local Orvis dealers.

The idea is to get some new people to try the sport out to see if it feels right for them.

Dave Neal
07-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Sounds like a fantastic program for new and interested fly anglers!! Great job Kiene's crew and sponsors... I'm telling a few Sac area folks.

caltagm
07-10-2010, 08:32 PM
They have the same program going on at the Orvis store in Reno.

Ed Wahl
07-31-2010, 09:20 PM
My brother Dave took his two boys and a brother in law in for the lesson today. Me and Duke showed up just to bs while they got lessons.

The instructors were John Hogg(sp?) from Granite Bay Flycasters and Andy from the shop. They both were outstanding teachers. Luckily for my bro they also teach the dads. At the end of the casting lesson I was putting something in the truck and looked over at the class in time to see my brother double haul and rip off a very nice long tight looped cast. :eek:=D>\ Thanks Andy.

Now I can take him striper fishing.

Phil Synhorst showed up just to bs also( well, that and collect his ransom for my ancient Delorme map book I left in his car) but brought his son along. It didn't take much for him to get the bug and nag dad into signing up for a lesson.:twisted::D
I think that was the best 0 dollars Phil ever spent.

I'm looking forward to getting my nephews and inlaw onto some fish. This parts always fun.

You're gonna love it Phil. And you'll have more reasons to go fish.

Thanks for putting this on Bill, I think there's the makings for a family wide tradition starting out here.

Ed

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-01-2010, 12:34 AM
It's over for the year but I am sure it will be repeated next summer.

It was a great success with many new folks learning how to fly cast plus other small details about fly fishing gear and some basic knots.

It was good partnering up with the Orvis Company and Trout Unlimited.

Phil Synhorst
08-01-2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks Bill for hosting the lessons, and thanks to TU and Orvis too.

John, you're one heck of an instructor. Much thanks from Chris and I. He wouldn't stop talking about it the rest of the day. I think I'm in trouble now...in a good way.:D