PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy Lamson LP reels

searuns9
06-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Want to buy any Lamson LP 1, LP 1.5, or LP 2. Would just like the reels that are ported on both sides. Thank you.

LNelson
06-13-2010, 12:29 PM
You mean like this one? LP 15. Near Mint with box but not the blue reel caddy. PM me if interested.

Paul B.
06-13-2010, 06:34 PM
http://www.tradenstuff.com/
Try here. I just ordered one.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Lamson reels were the cutting edge in their day and I think they were first located in Oregon. Very hearty reels. We sold tons of them and so did everyone else.

I think they were bought by Sage who had them for a while.

Then I think Sage sold it back to the original owners or it was purchased by the Waterworks guys?

I don't think that Waterworks warranties them or has parts and spools for them anymore.

Some of the little ones were click-n-pawl.

Most were a exposed disc drag. We had some trouble with the drag material that was glued under the rotating disc coming loose. We also had trouble with the drag directional control mechanisms.

Many of the reels made in the past few decades with exposed disc drags have all pretty much gone by the wayside now. That technology was the first good disc drags available.

Now most popular reel has enclosed or sealed drag systems so they are not effected by water, sand, or other contaminants.

That said we still like the click-n-pawl reels made popular by the English fly reel companies like Hardy and J W Young.

If Waterworks has no parts or service for them I think that master reel mechanic Bill Archuleta might be able to fix them.

Good thing is that they were made and sold for many years so lots should available on eBay or classifieds.

If you are fond of them I would buy up several, even for extra parts.

**Again, I sold and watched everything in fly fishing equipment that came and went for the past 45 years.

searuns9
06-14-2010, 06:49 PM
LNelson, PM sent to you. Thank you

gs1dad, Thank you for the link.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for a little history with the companies on the LPs. I too have heard about some of the problems with the disc drags on the Lamson LPs. Mainly the drag "slipping" and also the drag knob having issues like you mentioned.

There are the LP "Light" series also. These didn't have adjustable disc drags at all. Straight click pawl drag reels.

Like you mentioned, I also heard that Waterworks doesn't do repairs or have the parts to the LPs anymore. I thought there were lifetime warranties on these reels if you owned them? I could be wrong?

I think Archueleta did receive a bunch of the parts from Waterworks. Arch is a great guy and I've sent a few Hardy reels to him as well as a JW Young 14A red agate reel to him for repair.

I'm buying these reels for a little more "stealthy" type of fishing. Although I love the sound of my click pawls, sometimes it's nice not to gather the attention of people when you are stripping out line just to make a cast :)

Are there any other reels that have a silent retrieve? I think the Bauer M series reels does? Any others?

Thanks everyone, Matt

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Lots of the old and new disc drag reels are pretty quiet.

I would buy old reels that you can get parts for.

Companies that make mostly only fly reels will usually keep parts and spools around for some time.

Like Galvan, Bauer or Ross......plus more.

RSK
06-14-2010, 10:09 PM
I think lamson started out in redmond WA. I have been fishing mine for years with no problems but I heard aboout a bad batch of clutches. I have not had the problems with the drag. Arch has all the old parts from waterworks and can rebuild the clutches (found all that out on a visit to his shop). No lifetime waranty anymore but I think waterworks will give you a substantial credit or a good deal on one of it's new reels if you send it back (not sure if they are still doing that). I bought a couple clutches for just in case and that is what they told me. I think they are great reels.

Russell

LNelson
06-15-2010, 03:06 AM
Additionally, for those of you that visit the Classic Gear forums, these little LPs are inching towards "collectible" status in those circles.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-15-2010, 05:20 PM
"I have been fishing mine for years with no problems but I heard about a bad batch of clutches."

Hi Russell

Lamson jobbed out those little round directional clutches to another machine shop that specializes in small things like that and the entire batch was bad. Not Lamson's fault and was resolved. They sent us a supply of the new ones to install on the spot.

Most of the fly reel companies have been very good to their customers.

Paul B.
06-16-2010, 03:33 AM
I'll try to post a report on mine (LP1) when it arrives. Paul

pgw
06-16-2010, 08:03 AM
Are there any other reels that have a silent retrieve? I think the Bauer M series reels does? Any others?

Matt,

I fish with the Ross R Series Reels, R1 (2, 3, 4 wt) & R2 (4, 5, & 6 wt) for trout and R3.5 (7, 8, & 9 wt) for Alaska Trout, Bass, Steelhead & Light Saltwater.

No noise in or out...no rim control either but that hasn't been an issue for using these reels since 1984.

Paul

searuns9
06-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Hi Paul,

I've seen those Ross reels but never knew they were silent both ways. They don't pop up for sale too often it seems like?

Matt

epzamora
06-17-2010, 12:55 AM
galvan. my OB 3 has a very muffled outgoing sound and silent retrieve.

eric
fresno, ca,