PDA

View Full Version : Hyde Lake, Yamsi Ranch

jbird
06-13-2010, 09:12 AM
I fished the private waters of Hyde lake yesterday. One of the bennies of being part of a church whos pastor is a hardcore flyfisherman. ;-) . It was not as easy as all the reports would suggest. It became very windy and borderline uncomortable in a tube. I started off with buggers and got 3 in the first hour. With the number of fish showing and the sheer numbers in the lake, that was pretty poor. So Slipped on the bobber and dropped the chironomid to 12' and it got good. Whenever this action slowed, Id grab the clear line and fish the buggers again....Nada! Weird, usually a bugger is the bees knees in a place like Hyde.

About noon a baetis hatch came off and the bite had really died on the midges. I decided to tie on a hares ear and drop it down under the indy and the action was instantaneous.

I was in a float tube for 12 hours. OUCH!

The fish were cookie cutters and averaged 21" with a few down to 18" and a few up to 24". There was lore of a 30"r caught by one of our guys. But it remains lore till we see documentation. ;-)

Once again, the chironomids were the hot set up and we were getting complete novices into a few trout of a lifetime for them.

These fish pulled so stinkin hard. I was primarily using the 5w and it was very challanging against these strong fish. I would have prefered a 6 or even 7w. I guess I landed 30ish fish.

I had fish that I thought were done, had the net out and in the blink of an eye was into backing again. Just an insanely powerful geneology in this little lake.

Ok, Heres the pic...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/DSC01348.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/DSC01339.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/DSC01358.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/899349451_MGaNP-XL.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/899349607_kWSTM-XL.jpg

SHigSpeed
06-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Nice report! Does that lake have a creek feeding it for natural spawning?

Good looking rack too. 12 hours on a foam couch ain't bad though if you're catching those brutes.

Keep bringin' the stories, vicarious is better than nothing. ;)

_SHig

pvsprme
06-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Look like Eagle Lake strain fish? If I'm correct the lakes are stocked. Will be up in Alturas/Redding 1st week in October, What do you think the conditions would be like? Hatches probably over by then, maybe.
I've looked at their website, pricey fishing and I don't care much for the pay-to-play market, but I did one last year to get the wife on some 3-5 lb. fish on a dry; it was worth every penny ($100/rod/day). I'd do that one, methinks.
Nice feesh & pics, thanks, J.
Robert

jbird
06-13-2010, 12:54 PM
Nice report! Does that lake have a creek feeding it for natural spawning?

Good looking rack too. 12 hours on a foam couch ain't bad though if you're catching those brutes.

Keep bringin' the stories, vicarious is better than nothing. ;)

_SHig

The fish are not able to spawn, It is managed as a trophy catch and release fishery. It is LOADED with big trout that have all likely felt the point of a hook. Theres lots of info on their website. Denny Rickards does clinics there.

...Yeah, the rack is a work in progress. When the tube doesent have my fat butt in it, the rack is level. As soon as I sit in the seat, the pontoons roll towad me, causing the rack to list. I just need to extend the connections to the D-rings. But it serves its purpose well and I have you to thank for the design! I even set it up so I can set a small rubbermaid tote within the framework and my little lunch cooler fits right in it.

I also have a single shoulder strap I pirated off an old framed backpack hooked to the D-rings on the bottom of the tube. So I can thro the strap over my shoulder and have my hands free while getting to and from the water.

Look like Eagle Lake strain fish? If I'm correct the lakes are stocked. Will be up in Alturas/Redding 1st week in October, What do you think the conditions would be like? Hatches probably over by then, maybe.
I've looked at their website, pricey fishing and I don't care much for the pay-to-play market, but I did one last year to get the wife on some 3-5 lb. fish on a dry; it was worth every penny ($100/rod/day). I'd do that one, methinks.
Nice feesh & pics, thanks, J.
Robert

I beleive youre right. I think they are stocked from 2-3 different hatcheries including eagle lake strain.

October is probably my favorite month for trout. You dont need to worry about hatches. (Tho I HAVE seen october calibaetis on Diamond and the fish were all over them.) You will want to fish damsels, scuds, leeches, snails and of coarse, the everpesent chironomid. Trout can be much less selective in the fall and more opportunistic. I did see a couple waterboatman yesterday at Hyde. If there is a waterboatman fall in october, that would be insane!

We got in for cheap on a group rate. I doubt I'd go back unless my church did another outing and I was asked to help instruct some of the not-so-experienced. Which actually adds a different element of fun to a place like that.

Im off to Maui for 2 weeks come this friday and when I get back, its klamath time baby!!

SHigSpeed
06-13-2010, 01:56 PM
BTW, with a 12' leader, do you use a releasing indicator?

_SHig

jbird
06-13-2010, 02:47 PM
absolutely. alone in a boat would be borderline, in a float tube impossible without a releaser.

They wont even let you fish the lake with a rod under a 5w or without a net. I saw some cringe worthy fish handling there. And some belly up fish that needed some extra attention. I believe the Eagles and Ospreys make out pretty well at Hyde.

Hairstacker
06-14-2010, 03:40 PM
Geez Jay, don't you ever catch normal-sized trout? :lol: Those are some real beauties and the average size is amazing. That's great how you outfitted the tube by the way. :cool:

SHigSpeed
06-14-2010, 05:14 PM
BTW, to fix that tube flexing in on you syndrome and help you sit up higher, I wonder if an Outcast inflatable bottom seat cushion would fit in that ODC? What are the dims of the seatbottom foam brick? I think you can get one from Outcast for $50-$70?

_SHig

jbird
06-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Geez Jay, don't you ever catch normal-sized trout? :lol: Those are some real beauties and the average size is amazing. That's great how you outfitted the tube by the way. :cool:

LOL. Mike Ive been getting a bit spoiled I will admit. We have some great big trout water in my area and its hard to fish for peanuts when you can fish for pigs :-)

I have SHigspeed to thank for the rack design. Its funny how people point and laugh til they see it in action. Then they ask me to build them one. ;-)

BTW, to fix that tube flexing in on you syndrome and help you sit up higher, I wonder if an Outcast inflatable bottom seat cushion would fit in that ODC? What are the dims of the seatbottom foam brick? I think you can get one from Outcast for $50-$70?

_SHig

I did some googling and couldnt find what you are refering to. If its something that goes on top of my seat it may be a problem because my backrest is a little too short for me already.

I think I have a perfect idea for getting the rack to level out. I'll have to play around with it this summer.

SHigSpeed
06-15-2010, 02:27 PM
I did some googling and couldnt find what you are refering to. If its something that goes on top of my seat it may be a problem because my backrest is a little too short for me already.

I think I have a perfect idea for getting the rack to level out. I'll have to play around with it this summer.

The bladder replaces the foam insert altogether. Download the Outcast catalog (could be the spare parts or accessories catalog).
It's in there.

If you measure the foam brick for me I can guess if it'll fit or not.

_SHig

B Kane
06-15-2010, 09:07 PM
How pricey is the fishing there, can the average guy afford it? Where is it located? Nice looking fish.

mikel
06-15-2010, 09:24 PM
B Kane

http://www.yamsiflyfishing.com/hydelake.html