PDA

View Full Version : Where to go for 10 days - 4th of July week

esummers
06-12-2010, 01:23 PM
I have 7-10 days off from July 3-10th or so. Usually I go to Montana and fish the Madison, Beaverhead, Big Hole, Silver Creek on the way home, etc.

This year I'm looking to do something new. Maybe Oregon? Maybe the Bridgeport area? I'm strictly a wade fisherman, can't afford a guide, like to camp, love the dry fly over an indicator (of offense). Not really looking for a back country experience on this trip.

I'm open to anything in the west (I live in Sacramento). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Eric

Rick J
06-12-2010, 02:26 PM
if you steelhead fish you might consider a trip up to the N Umpqua or the Deschutes?

We used to go every year up into Montana and as you hit Silver Creek coming back but Silver Creek is so good that we normally just go there now - if you have around tube try Silver Creek below Kilpatrick Bridge but if you have not done any floats before on SC make sue you do not use fins - just your boots!!!

Willisbrow
06-14-2010, 01:06 PM
Go to montana but skip Dillon and West Yellowstone and head straight for Wolf Creek. Its about 30 min north of hellena and sits on the MISSOURI RIVER>!! IT's home to the biggest hardest fighting trout i have ever caught.
July can have excellent dry fly fishing on the Missouri. There will be caddis, pmds and maybe a few tricos flying around that time of year. The fish eat emergers, cripples and spent patterns better than adult patterns. If you cant find risers(which shouldnt be a problem) a micro mayfly under a bobber is deadly!
It will probably be crowded up there but with good reason, the fishing it Great. there are a handfull of campgrounds along the river.