PDA

View Full Version : Big T is game on again !!

bigfly
06-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Flows dropped a foot on the Truckee, color is much improved.
Cool temps day/night helped moderate things.
Upper canyon is pretty sweet looking. 300 cfs into town. Much bigger below Hirschdale.
Water temp at 46 and creeping up.
Fish slack water/edges.
Bring Ants!!
LT is low and getting hammered, think graduate school.
Jim

victorm
06-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Big T river flow through Truckee is more like 600. But clearing up with cooler temps. FYI when you read the flow chart for TRUCKEE R NR TRUCKEE CA [351], that flow is before Donner Creek comes in with another 252. This location is at HWY 89 and West River Street. It might be easier to take the TRUCKEE R A BOCA BRIDGE NR TRUCKEE CA [776] and subtract PROSSER C BL PROSSER C DAM NR TRUCKEE CA [104] and you get flows @ Glenshire Bridge.

bigfly
06-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Victor, I crossed/fished the T above Donner this morn, so that was where the report (upper canyon) was aimed.
69cfs out of Tahoe, add all the creeks, about 300+-.
You are on it for lower downtown, 450-500+cfs, no crossing there. Donner does add some push and color. Things are looking good for this summer eh? See ya on the water.

Jim

victorm
06-12-2010, 12:03 PM
Yes, above Truckee and Donner Cr., along hwy. 89 looks good. Sorry I was confused as to where you were referring to fishing. And yes you are right on @the ant hatch!

bigfly
06-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Victor, no worries! Next to skwalla's, Flying carpenter ants may be my favorite bug holiday. (At least this week.)
Don't leave home without them.

Jim

Ralph
06-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Water temp has been peaking around 50 degrees around 2:00 (at Glenshire Bridge) then the slug of snowmelt hits and drops temps into the mid 40's (clarity is still good) and fish get a little tight lipped. Later this week it should hit stride. Fishing has been steady upstream of River Ranch.

Frank R. Pisciotta
06-13-2010, 06:57 AM
Yesterday, at 4PM, I got 52 degrees at the White House, Pink House, Cat House Hole or Polaris turn-out (mid-Glenshire Drive)...whichever you prefer. The water clarity was decent, but the flows, IMO, are still too high for non-combat wading. As BF mentions...edges & eddies are good ploys in the upper Truckee right now.

Earlier in the day I was along #89 around Goose Meadows...good clarity & nice flows...water is still too cool, few bugs observed & not many willing fish.

I believe we're still at least 7-10 days away before everything comes into shape. I also prefer a few more up ticks on the water temps...although the Green Drakes will appear at 50-52.

The ants have been mentioned; I personally have not witnessed any. Has anyone actually seen them?

Maybe the Sheriff of the Canyon can comment on conditions in his chosen turf.................

Frank R. Pisciotta

gilligan
06-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Da Dean is right about it being 7-10 days off. The water has clarity, but is high. I fished on Friday and did well, but only in a few spots, and spots I knew held fish. It's a bit high again today. I like the flows 200-400 along Glenshire, and 300-700cfs below Boca. I'm guessing the Caddis will come out the 22-25th this month. My set up has been dead drifting streamers with a big nymph. Most fish are eating the streamer. July should be very good this year.

www.gilligansguideservice.com
www.gilligansguideservice.blogspot.com

bigfly
06-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Houston, we have bogies on radar. Size #8, 2-step Ant, for comparison.
This guy was on West River st. today. Bunches, and bunches of them.

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac260/Bigfly1/P6140100.jpg

Water temps are a little too cold for rises, drowned is best.
Still too big to cross below Donner Creek confluence.
Lots of March Brown adults as well. No noses there either, fish a soft hackle.
The third perfect day of Summer.
Waded with just shorts under my waders.
Haven't done that since Oct.
Nice.......Yes they do bite.

Jim

caltagm
06-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Hallelujah! They're here!

Look at the mandibles on that monster!!

bigfly
06-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Cool today, but it rained a little last night, so flows up slightly again, H2O temps fell off too. 47 deg. No wind today, was a howler yesterday. The ants will not be an issue till it warms up again. A fairly large raft-hatch lower in the canyon. Flows pretty big down there.
Seeing yellow sallys in the bug seine more often now, March browns are still going strong.
BWO's are popping too.
Be careful wading.

Jim

bigfly
06-19-2010, 09:23 AM
A couple of cool days, now we're back to summer. Ants fly today!
Don't bother fishing it dry, "they" are not coming up.
Had a friend catch four out of one hole, on an ant served drowned.
You guys can wait for it to be perfect, but I'll fish now.
Flows are beautiful, good clarity, blue sky, hungry fish..........
Jim

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac260/Bigfly1/Johnsfish-1.jpg

Another one drift fish. I never get over the surprise.

bigfly
06-22-2010, 11:39 AM
The whole river is fishing now, many crossings usable again.
Still not much pressure from anglers. Plants blooming, birds and bees buzzing, nice...
Plenty of water to have all to yourself. H2O temps slowly climbing into the mid 50's.
Little golden stones, crane flies, Ants, March browns, and...... wait for it.......Green Drakes!
Sparse right now, but more are on the way. No huge rises, but a wiggle tail nymph, or Burks tungsten bead nymph is working.
A diligent friend hooked 15 over the course of a day (missed four). All bit subsurface morsels, rubber legged nymphs, pheasant tails, small black nymphs.
Saw my first grass hopper yesterday....
Summer is here!!!!

Jim