PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated sinking line rod: Is switching from floating to sinking lines a problem?

Dean Y.
06-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Last month at the Granite Bay Flycaster's meeting, Hal Janssen urged anglers to have a dedicated sinking line rod. He suggested using a specific rod(s) that will NEVER be used for floating lines due to the various coatings/dressings/??? that cover a sinking line. I believe he stated that the sinking line will leave a residue on the guides and ruin a floating line.

Is this the accepted conventional wisdom? I gathered from the way he stated it, that lots of people don't follow this advice. Should I be concerned about swapping floating and sinking lines on the same rod? thanks.

Jay
06-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Wow. News to me. I am not an expert though. Curious.

Reno Flytyer
06-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Maybe if you fished everyday, or multiple times a week. I fish maybe 40-50 days a year & typically use two rods & switch spools often using floating, types I II & III sinking, & a sink tip...the floating line I've had for at least 3 years & it works as well today as it did new. It seems to me like some folk forget the K.I.S.S. principal & over think some things. Don't know how much it matters, but I fish stillwater 98% of the time. I guess I'm one of those who don't subscribe to his theory. My $ .02 & you get what you pay for.
RFT

Scott V
06-10-2010, 03:35 PM
If you got the money go for it. I fish alot, at least 2 - 3 times a week and have never had a problem.

Dean Y.
06-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Sounds like most people haven't been concerned.

I definitely do not have $ falling out of my derriere :(. But, I was/am somewhat concerned about shortening the life of my lines (they ain't cheap either). I suppose you can makeup the cost of a budget fly rod (what I use) if you go through a lot of floating lines.

B Kane
06-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Hal is without a doubt the BEST flyfisherman around today. Whatever he does he gets to the top, whether it's pinstripping, woodcarving or flyfishing. Ask any oldtimer like Bill Kiene or Dan Blanton and they'll back that statement up.

Reno Flytyer
06-10-2010, 07:51 PM
I bet he can't catch 135 fish in a day at Frenchman.
RFT