PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions on how to improve my flying ant?

Digger38
06-09-2010, 10:16 PM
I just started making my own fly's and I decided I would try and tie a few flying ant's for the Truckee. Here is my first attempt. Do any of you have any suggestions on how to improve on my first one? I am not really sure what hook size to start with and I am thinking I should have made the front of the fly fatter like I did the back end?

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/dpsa98/ant002.jpg

SteveP
06-10-2010, 05:41 AM
The back end doesn't look bad, the wing isn't bad either the front does look a little strange... but it doesn't look to bad. Honestly I would go up a couple hook sizes until you get it all worked out and looking just right then drop down slowly so that you can get a better feel for the proportions. Not bad work though... my first flies were no better than that for sure, much much worse to be exact.

Steve

Scott V
06-10-2010, 07:13 AM
Until I fish it Doug I can not give you an honest opinion. But seriously the only thing I can think of is maybe make the head section a little bigger and mix in just a couple dark red hairs when tying the body. Other than that it looks real nice.

mark
06-10-2010, 08:36 AM
Good tie. You've got the profile down. Maybe get a little larger clump of deer hair for the wing and stack it so the tips are even, I find this helps greatly with flotation.

Darian
06-10-2010, 09:07 AM
As the others have already said, your initial effort is good. :nod: The only thing I can offer is that, generally, ants don't float high on the water. A hackle wrapped full may make it ride at an unnatural angle and float higher than a natural would. You might consider trimming off the bottom of the hackle to allow the fly to float in the surface film.... 8-)

Digger38
06-10-2010, 09:54 AM
Thank you for your suggestions guys. I will take them all into consideration when I do a few more tonight.

lineas tenso
08-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Add two short strands of crystal flash pointing straight up. The fish will see it and so will you in the shadows.:unibrow: