PDA

View Full Version : Pontoon casting decks/Skeeter or Scadden?

TroutNoDoubt
06-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Hi all:

I'm looking to get into a new 'toon with a casting deck and have two questions for those with direct experience (no hearsay or second hand anecdotes, please). So, if - and only if - you have direct experience with a 'toon with a casting deck/platform...

1) Do you like the casting deck and use it? What are the pros and cons in your experience.

2) If you were to buy a new 'toon with casting platform, what would you buy? I've been looking at the Scadden Skykomish for a long time but have been put off by reports of poor quality, missing parts, etc. I saw the Water Skeeter Chetco and Guid Pro on the web today. They look good, but not much data out there on them.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Bob Laskodi
06-08-2010, 06:44 PM
I have a Scadden McKenzie Drifter X2. The standing platform is fantastic, and well worth the extra cost and weight. Pro: you can take a leak from the 'toon w/o going back to shore (hah, try that with a regular 'toon!) Con: the lean bar gets in the way when you're entering/exiting the seat (solved this problem by mounting the seat on a riser and ditching the lean bar, you can now lean against the seat). I love Scadden's stuff, yeah it's expensive stuff, but they're tons lighter weight than the competition and rated for whitewater. I haven't had any of the negative issues you mentioned and the components are top notch quality.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/laskodi/f950fecb.jpg
Why yes, it does look like a giant banana!!!

TroutNoDoubt
06-08-2010, 07:37 PM
Hey Bob. Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the input. Hadn't thought about the benefit of peeing from the casting platform. Good one.

I posted the same message on a float tubing forum and got the cold shoulder for daring to besmirch the name of Scadden. I figured that would happen. Kind of fun to ruffle the feathers of the forum bullies and watch them squawk.

To be fair, I have heard and read of positive experiences with Scadden/NFO including a recent discussion with a guide who has 5 Scadden boats and swears they are tougher and better than any other 'toon he has used. I just seem to see far more negative comments, including a friend that had an oar lock on his Scadden boat snap off in the middle of a class III rapid.

I'm going to research some more. I really like their designs. I guess I can think about buying one and send it back if it sucks...

Tight lines,
Bob

PS: I used to come into you store in Pleasanton. Hope you're doing well.

Reno Flytyer
06-08-2010, 07:59 PM
I like your toon Bob, but FYI, pissin' from a regular 'toon is easy as can be. Only problem I've had is the need to raise the seat 'cause the water was so cold! ;o)

RFT

Frank.S
06-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Do not buy the water skeeter. I know from experience. It will be the biggest fly fishing mistake you will ever make.:eek:

TroutNoDoubt
06-08-2010, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the input. I'll steer clear. Not crazy about the PVC bladders, heavy weight, and not enough data in the market on these 'toons.

Bob

Ben Kobrin
06-08-2010, 11:09 PM
I bought the NFO Avenger XX January of last year and haven't had any regrets. I've had it out on the Trinity, Yuba, American, Mokelumne Rivers as well as many lakes. The standing platforms are an absolute must. I bought an extra so that I would have a platform for both the rider and rower. PM me if you want any more details.

-Ben

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/lazychuck1/BFFfirsttrip034.jpg

NCL
06-09-2010, 06:01 AM
I don't have either of the mentioned brand toons but I do have a casting platform on my pontoon which is a Water Ready from Oregon. I have had toons with and without the casting platform and I much perfer with a platform. Advantages, you can sight fish, easier to make longer casts, you can stand and stretch, on mine more space for things. Disadvantages, although I think from the design of those toons this would not be the case but with mine you can't use fins so you must anchor, when standing you can get blown around.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-09-2010, 07:36 AM
I don't think Water Skeeter is the same high quality as Outcast or Scadden.

michaeln
06-09-2010, 07:51 AM
I don't think Water Skeeter is the same high quality as Outcast or Scadden.

They also seem to be a company that is in the process of disappearing. http://www.waterskeeter.com/ hasn't been updated in two years. www.oregonfishing.com seems to have lots of their boats on closeout prices, many models are not available.

I have had my issues with North Fork Outdoors, but now that they have all been resolved I am absolutely delighted with the quality and features of my Outlaw Rampage and the new Lightspeed oars.

briansII
06-09-2010, 12:18 PM
One more happy Scadden owner. I have the Skykomish, and I have not had any quality issues. I don't use the platform, because the lean bar gets in the way of the extra rods I carry. Plus, the added weight makes it tougher to load on my camper shell rack. You can relieve yourself without the standing platform. :-)

briansII

emerger
06-10-2010, 05:35 AM
My biggest suggestion would be to get a two seater. I have both a Scadden Skykomish Sunrise (one seater) and an Outcast 1200 (2 seater). The one-seater is great to get you around the river, but you can't fish and drift at the same time. In fact, I would be glad to sell you the Sunrise one seater if you're interested in it, but would suggest a pontoon with two seats if you want to be able to drift and fish at the same time. That said, the Skykomish Sunrise is very stable and extremely manuverable in the rapids.
Hope this helps,
Adam

TroutNoDoubt
06-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Hi all:
Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to order the Skykomish Sunrise. The other make/model I saw is the fashcat 10 ir. But, I've seen consistent reviews that the weight cap is underrated causing the boat to ride low and the platform plate to drag in the water.

I'll post after I decide and let you how it goes.

Bob