PDA

View Full Version : Lake Almanor report

Lee Haskin
06-08-2010, 09:59 AM
This report is rather late, but thought it might be of interest anyway.

My wife and I spent the week of May 16-22, on the west side of Almanor, and had a great time. The weather was cold and windy, but I did manage to get out on two mornings, looking for trout.
Even though there were a few blood midges popping here and there, the trout were not on the adults, and I ended up fishing a sink tip line with a pond smelt pattern. I picked up one good fish the first day, but that was certainly enough to make the trip a success. It was a fat, 25" brown, that put on quite a display, with 2 impressive jumps.
The second day, it seemed there were more midges around so I fished a blood midge nymph, that brought a nice 22" rainbow to the tube.

With snow everywhere, and high water, most of the streams were blown out, as you might expect. We took a drive down to Yellow Creek, and although it was high, we enjoyed the wild flowers, and snow covered hills.

The bike trail around the south end of Almanor is terrific and we enjoyed several great rides along the water, with spectacular views of Lassen!!

With snow falling on Friday, we decided to come on home, and almost needed chains getting over the pass, on hiway 36.

Here are a couple of pictures.

Cheers,
Lee

jbird
06-09-2010, 07:27 PM
great report and gorgeous brown! Did you get any other pictures of that fish?? Thats the fish of a lifetime for most of us!

Lee Haskin
06-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Hi J,

Yes, it was a georgeous brown, and one of the biggest browns I have ever caught!
I was glad that I had my 6 wt. along, and 4x tippet. Grin!

Here are 2 more pictures. Sorry I couldn't capture the entire fish in these pictures, but I seem to be "camera challenged" trying to snap pictures of my fish, from a float tube.

: (

Cheers,
Lee

Scott V
06-10-2010, 08:26 AM
That is a beauty Lee, I am making my first trip to Almanor next weekend.

Rich Morrison
06-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Hi J,

Yes, it was a georgeous brown, and one of the biggest browns I have ever caught!
I was glad that I had my 6 wt. along, and 4x tippet. Grin!

Here are 2 more pictures. Sorry I couldn't capture the entire fish in these pictures, but I seem to be "camera challenged" trying to snap pictures of my fish, from a float tube.

: (

Cheers,
Lee

Not to mention trying to get a good shot when the adrenaline is flowing. I caught a brown almost that big in Almanor from a float tube last summer and I didn't get a great picture either because I was shaking a bit and in a hurry to get him released. Nice work and beauty fish man!!

Mik
06-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Hello Mr. Brown!!! Awesome fish Lee.

huntindog
06-14-2010, 01:29 PM
I had similar results this weekend...wind was crazy, got blown off the water sat. Did manage the biggest smallmouth i have ever caught. That was fun.

Scott V
06-14-2010, 02:46 PM
How are you fishing for the smallies huntindog? Will I be able to find rock structure or will I be out of luck being in my float tube. I would really like to get a smallie or two while I am there. I have all day Saturday to fish and would like to concentrate on smallies. I will be camping at Plumas Pines Resort, so will I be close to smallie area?