PDA

View Full Version : Disappointments....

Darian
06-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Over the course of years I’ve been going to Baja (East Cape and La Ventana) for fly fishing trips, I’ve noticed that a small number of fly fishers have returned from a day or weeks outing only to say they were disappointed with the fishing or their panga captain or whatever…. :confused:

Since I’ve not experienced that myself, I’m wondering what the cause of this disappointment is :?: :?: Unrealistic expectations of the fishery, the captains or not understanding what they were getting for the $$$ :?: :?:

Some of the complaints I’ve heard are the captain didn’t find numbers of the type of fish they wanted for them. Others, that the overall experience wasn’t what they expected. I’ve heard a few that were so ridiculous that I won’t mention them here. :-s

Many people still bring Trout outfits to fish out of a panga at Cerralvo and their casting skills indicate a lack of understanding that these fish move around so fast that false casting must be kept to a minimum. Seems to me that there’s a bunch of info out there (Jay’s circular, the internet, word of mouth, industry shows and promotions, etc.) that there shouldn’t be any misunderstandings but they still occur. :nod:

I see people who go on a trip like that and spend the entire time talking about how good the fishing is where they are from or the food isn’t what they expected. Seems to me that all of this contributes to their disappointment. :confused:

Not trying to condemn anything or anyone in this post. Just curious why this expressed disappointment continues. :-k :-k

Scott V
06-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Anyone that "expects" a certain amount of fish are fooling themselves. I find it real annoying when someone says the guide did not get me into enough fish. Do they really think the guides are gods and can command the fish like Aquaman or something. When I went I was bummed that I did not get a shot at a dorado, but that was no ones fault but the dorado's for not being around. As for the food, if you have never been to that part of the world, how can you expect anything. You should be happy that we have the privilege to go down there and fish. If they really want first class service and food then you need to be spending alot more money than what Jay charges. His prices are as low as one can go and still offer alot for the amount you spend.

As I have always said, if you think you can do a better job, then do it yourself if not shut up and fish.

Steve R
06-07-2010, 05:24 PM
I am one of the disappointed ones.......................can't go for a whole month, just one week!!! Darian, finally got some pix of you, but Renee still steals the show. Looks like a real Roosta trip, Fri. am for sure.
Steve

Darian
06-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Yep!!! When Renee's fishin' she has a hard time putting the rod down to take pics of anything I catch. I do agree with you, Steve, she's a lot better looking than me.... :lol: :lol: