PDA

View Full Version : My PB, on the fly that is...

Mr. Striper
06-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Could not get back to sleep this morning around 5am. So, I still had my friends boat hooked to my truck. I thought , he wont mind, (and he didnt), so I grabed my baitcasting striper rod, my shad rod, (witch I never used either one of) and my 10wt fly rod.

Got to the howe ramp at 5:30. Headed up past watt to just past the power lines. I got only that far because there were stripes showing on the surface. Motored up past them, and started my drift. My clouser hit the water, and with in 3 strips, it was fish on! Sweet!! I havent caught a striper on the fly in years. Got it to the boat, wieghed 3lbs. Released it back to the river, and motored back up for another drift. I caught 3 more the same size and some "LDR's"after a few drifts.

Left that area for half an hour or so and headed up river. Tried a few spots for nothing. So, headed back down river to drift through that area one more time. I could see some surface action as I rounded the corner. Killed the motor and began casting. My 4th cast into the area where they were rising and this bad boy hammered my fly.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u232/jasonsdad05/0604000902950001.jpg
Oh, by the way, I tyed these clousers myself. It's first run striped all the line I had out in my bucket and I was fighting it off the reel now. I was freaking out everytime the fish would start ripping line off of the reel. I knew this was going to be a good fish. This little guy was fishing on shore and watched the whole thing go down, he's also the one who took the pic for me. I dont know who was having more fun, me or him. He freaked out when I let the beast back into the water to fight agian another day. I just laughed and said it was too big of a fish to kill today.

The fish went just over 15lbs, witch is my PB on a fly rod. Wish the other 4 had been just as hefty, but they too were fun. I will remember that fight for ever. Drifted through a few more times with no action from me or the surface. Got back home just in time for breakfast with the fam.

Frank Alessio
06-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Great report....

OceanSunfish
06-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Nice going!

Nothing much more to do now but to take the fly rod/reel out to the 'stepping stones' off Mussel! <grin>

I think it was you who posted on old pic of the bite from the 'stepping stones', right?

Charlie Gonzales
06-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Way to go Jeff!!!!!

Thankfuly you will be working again and theres one less guy on the river. Very happy for you, what a week!

Mr. Striper
06-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Nice going!

Nothing much more to do now but to take the fly rod/reel out to the 'stepping stones' off Mussel! <grin>

I think it was you who posted on old pic of the bite from the 'stepping stones', right?

Very possible, I grew up in Pacifica for 30+ years. I know that rock very, very well. I've swam and have caught stripers from everyone of the rocks around it as well.