PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Destination???

Spicytuna1
06-03-2010, 11:48 AM
I am trying to find a spot for my girlfriend and I to do some camping next weekend.

The ultimate would be able to find a secluded lake that does not require 4 wheel drive to get to. I have a 10 foot john boat that I can throw in the back of my truck to access the water.

I am honestly not looking to find someones secret hole, just a nice weekend get away, away from crowds and hopefully a few trout to boot.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated, I am never one to abuse a privelidge that someone offers.

If you would like PM me.

Thank you,

Spicytuna

michaeln
06-03-2010, 12:11 PM
I am trying to find a spot for my girlfriend and I to do some camping next weekend.

The road to Spicer Reservoir is supposed to open this week (off of Hwy 4, near Bear Valley). That would mean that you could get to Utica and Union reservoirs as well. Paved and graded forest service roads get you there, you don't need 4WD.

Check here for area fishing reports:

http://www.ebbettspasssportinggoods.com/fishing.html

He'll also have any flies you need for the area.

My personal preference is Utica for camping because it is all NFS free camping, and it's as pretty a place as you are ever likely to see. Fishing in Utica sucks though, but Spicer is close enough that you could camp at Utica and haul your boat over to Spicer to fish. There is camping at Spicer too, but it's in regular fee-based campgrounds that are really pretty congested for my taste.

Spicytuna1
06-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Thank you for the input, I called up there and they are cutting the road in the next couple of days. He said there is still at least 4 feet of snow drift on the ground right now, and the campsites might not be snow free by next wekeend. But I am going to follow up with them next week and see.

Thanks again for the input the place looks amazing.

michaeln
06-03-2010, 03:53 PM
I guess winter is as late leaving there as everywhere else. It is at 7000 plus feet, after all.

Maybe target something lower then. Lake Davis is at 5775 feet and is iced out, and the campgrounds are dry. It has a reputation as a terrific fishing lake, but my experiences there are just the opposite. It's a really pretty place too though.

Dan L
06-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Spicers did open this week end. I haven't been their but I understand that the campgrounds at the lake are not open as of yet. Union and Utica are not open as of yet. There is camping on the road to Spicers at the Stanislaus River.

The lake is ice free, has a good water level and is fishing well. If you go there bring a sink line and some buggers. You should do well.

Dan Liechty

Icastnblast
06-07-2010, 12:12 PM
What are the chances of that snow melting over the week. I was hoping to get up there last weekend but I can wait till this weekend. If I have to camp on the Stanislaus I will, but I prefer Spicer camp grounds. I know the water temp is good right now, I just hope it doesn't warm up too much by the time the camp grounds thaw out and push the fish down deep, then I have to go get a sinking line for the 6wt.

michaeln
06-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Even if the snow at the Spicer campgrounds was to melt, it would leave behind a sloppy muddy mess that really won't be pleasant for another 2-3 weeks.

Camping where the Stanislaus crosses under the Spicer Road would be nice, I think. I don't really like the regular fee-based Spicer campground anyway. If you have a huge RV and need hookups, yes, but I prefer to keep my distance from that stuff.

Spicytuna1
06-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Anyone fish or have any experience at Stumpy Meadows?

How is fishing/crowds???

DFrink
06-07-2010, 03:30 PM
The fishing at Stumpy can be very spotty. I normally only fish it in winter when the banks are lined with snow. This time of year it gets a lot of pressure. I have heard about guys fishing for browns in the back where the creek comes in and doing okay, although I have never tried it myself. I have never actually fished the lake with a fly before. The camp ground is not on the lake, there is a dirt trail that you can walk down to the water (about a mile?) or drive. It is a very pretty lake, definitely my favorite place to swim in the summer. I don't know if the camp ground is open yet or not, try the Georgetown Ranger station 530-333-4312. Hope this helps.

Dan

michaeln
06-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Re: Camping.... Spicer, Utica and Union reservoirs are all in the Stanislaus National Forest, and in National Forests you can camp pretty much anywhere... it's called dispersed camping. You have to bring your own drinking water and do your own proper latrine stuff and pack your garbage out, but as long as you do that, go for it and camp where you like.

Years ago I used to use my 4WD to camp alongside the Slickrock Jeep Trail that runs from Lake Alpine to Utica Reservoir and it was some of the best camping I have ever done. The Silver Creek area along that trail is especially pretty.

http://www.californiajeeper.com/slickroc/review.htm