PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Hat Creek or Pit Report from Mem. Day Wknd?

Mike O
05-31-2010, 11:29 PM
I am heading up there next weekend. Anyone wanna share what they saw this past weekend?

Thanks

MAO

jack_salmon99
06-01-2010, 06:20 AM
A friend of mine fished Power House 2 riffle last Thursday. He told me he hooked a dozen rainbows on dry flies. Salmonfly and blue wing olive. Largest fish was 20 inches.

Terry Thomas
06-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Fished the fast water section on Friday. Not much going on. Didn't see any stones on the water or in the trees. Pretty cool weather with rain on and off during the day. Did see my first hex fly of the year near the power house above Baum.
T.

mircetich
06-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Fished great at PH2 and carbon flats from 7am to 10:00. Dries all am, small caddis and PMD cripple as well as Salmon Flies. Not only that, we were the only ones on the water till 9:30! Go!

Mike O
06-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Fished the fast water section on Friday. Not much going on. Didn't see any stones on the water or in the trees. Pretty cool weather with rain on and off during the day. Did see my first hex fly of the year near the power house above Baum.
T.

Is this above or below 299?

Mike O
06-01-2010, 10:07 AM
Fished great at PH2 and carbon flats from 7am to 10:00. Dries all am, small caddis and PMD cripple as well as Salmon Flies. Not only that, we were the only ones on the water till 9:30! Go!

You caught fish on the flats? I am in awe.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-01-2010, 11:22 AM
The flat water on Hat Creek from the PH 2 downstream is very challenging, especially without anything hatching. If something is hatching and you have the right bug and a light tippet you might catch something.

I am sure it varies day to day now depending on the weather.

Might seen some Green Drakes on Hat, as well as Stoneflies.

This is prime time to be up there around Burney.

The Pit River is tough wading but could be good with larger (#8-14) dark nymphs most of the time or #6 Stimulator if the stoneflies are in the air.

You could check with The Fly Shop in Redding and/or Vaughn's in Burney.

There is no good reason to not go now.......it's time.

fj40
06-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Does anyone know if there is still road work going on at the pit and what to do if there is? Thanks

joshfish
06-01-2010, 05:49 PM
fj40 check with the flyshop in redding. they can give you contruction reports for the pit.

Mike O
06-02-2010, 01:33 AM
The flat water on Hat Creek from the PH 2 downstream is very challenging, especially without anything hatching. If something is hatching and you have the right bug and a light tippet you might catch something.

I am sure it varies day to day now depending on the weather.

Might seen some Green Drakes on Hat, as well as Stoneflies.

This is prime time to be up there around Burney.

The Pit River is tough wading but could be good with larger (#8-14) dark nymphs most of the time or #6 Stimulator if the stoneflies are in the air.

You could check with The Fly Shop in Redding and/or Vaughn's in Burney.

There is no good reason to not go now.......it's time.

Oh...I'm going. Count on that. I just wanted to know if the stones were up and about yet. Will probably call Vaughn's tomorrow or Thur.

Mike O
06-02-2010, 01:35 AM
Does anyone know if there is still road work going on at the pit and what to do if there is? Thanks

FJ,

Vaughn's has the number to call on thier site. Looks like construction is continuing, and there are detours.

Terry Thomas
06-02-2010, 10:47 AM
maodiver
Below 299.
T.

esummers
06-03-2010, 12:30 AM
Fished the Pit last Saturday for the first time. Did pretty well on dark #14 AP nymphs. Took a few on stimulators as well. Salmonflies were in the air as the temps warmed around 2:00. A few PMD's and Yellow sallies as well. I've been reading about the wading difficulties on the Pit for years. It lived up to it's reputation to say the least. I believe flows were up a litttle as well, which didn't help the wading adventure. I originally went to fish Pit 4, but since I'm by myself, I didn't feel to comfortable going back to Deep Creek campground to camp. That road looked a little sketchy with all the recent rain.

The Pit 3 dam is closed to traffic. If you're fishing pit 3, you have to go around to the north side of burney resevoir and access it from there (I forget the name of the road). The road is also closed at the end of Pit 3 stretch of river. In order to get to Pit 4, you have to go in on Big Bend road - it's to accessible from Pit 3. At least that was the case last weekend. Whoever is doing the constuction has put togther detailed maps of where and when the different projects on the Pit will take place. They're available near both Pit 3 and Pit 4 Powerhouses. Pretty nice actually.

Also fished the flats below PH#2 on Hat Creek Friday night. Lots of fish up, but weren't interested in my flies. Very frustrating. I just couldn't put the puzzle together. Looked like small caddis, maybe a #20, but who in the hell knows. I've fished many spring creeks in my day, but Hat Creek is a little over the top. Those are some stubborn sons of @#$@#%@. Long leaders, changed bugs, different stages and nada! Silver Creek in Idaho is cake compared to Hat. That being said, I had fun!!

Mike O
06-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Great report esummers. I will post my experiences when I get back.

esummers
06-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Enjoy and be safe! Don't forget that staff!!!!!!! None of those folding jobbies either - I used a ski pole and it worked great. As much as I cursingthe Pit as I was stumbling around on greased bowling balls avoiding poison oak, now I want to go back. I'll give it this - I didn't see another angler on my beat and there were plenty of hot, football sized rainbows.

Mike O
06-04-2010, 07:17 PM
I'm off. Will post when there is something to post.