PDA

View Full Version : Mag Bay Fishing Opportunity

krishisky
05-31-2010, 12:14 PM
To Fishing Persons Who Yearn For Adventure

We're going on a marvelous,and economical fishing trip to Magdalena Bay that you may want to know about and we do have some openings left.Roger Iveson,Gary Roller,His brother and I so far have made the easy decision to go November 5th.A few others have expressed interest but as of now,they are not ready to send in their deposits.

Our outfitter,Bajasportfishing will supply a newly remodeled and renovated mother ship,named the Erick with 8 in tow pangasyou can see a picture of the Erick if you go to their website http://www.bajasportfishinginc.com/
Following is a copy of the email that I received from them,lots of good information that turned me on.

“It was a pleasure speaking with you today. I have you down for November 5-12 total of 4 people. We still have 8 spots available on that trip so if you have anyone that would like to jump on, feel free.

As for the rest of the Mag Bay season, the dates of the trips will be:

November 5-12
November 12-19
November 19-26 (Thanksgiving is November 25)
November 26-December 3

These trips will be Friday to Friday (arriving into Loreto Friday early afternoon and leaving Loreto the following Friday early morning).

The boat will leave from Pto. San Carlos. Our itinerary for where we will fish will tenatively be:

Thetis Bank is where we will go after Tuna, Wahoo, Marlin, Dorado etc.
La Entrada (Santa Maria Bay) will find yellowtail, tuna, cabrilla, grouper etc.
Mangroves is where we will fish for snook primarily.

The fishing is incredible in all of these areas and it's not uncommon to find broomtail grouper, corvina, halibut, pompano, snappers, sierra, black snook, etc.

You will fish 2 anglers per panga and just like our trips in the Midriff Islands, you can fish as little or as much as you like. Typically from 6AM-12:00PM then again from 3:00-7:00PM.

We will be spending time primarily in all of the Banks in the Pacific.

Magdalena Bay is really an unbelievable fishing experience. When not fishing, it's a beautiful experience to watch the Gray Whales with their newborn calfs. In addition to all of the other whales putting on a show for you with their spectacular leaps.

The price for the trip is $1350 per person. This will include roundtrip bus trip from Loreto to Puerto San Carlos, all food, non-alcoholic/alcoholic beverages, fishing license, panga for 2 anglers, and for anyone that would like to drive instead of fly, we have a secured parking lot for your vehicle.

Since we have access to a variety of food that are typically not available in Northern Baja, our menu is very elegant and upscale. You will enjoy at least one lobster dinner as well as sashimi and delicious appetizers.

A deposit of $500 per person will secure your spot.

For your convenience we accept Visa, MasterCard, and Discover. Just give me a call and I'll get your group all set up.

Thanks very much and I look forward to speaking with you soon. “You can call 1-800-770-2341 and speak to Andrea for any further information or hopefully place your deposit with her

PS.We,Ted Krishisky and friends, tried to go last year but were unable to use the mother ship concept because of a lack of anglers.But ,I wanted to check out the area so we went a different route.I posted my trip report on Dan’s board on 12-12-2009.I’m including it for your information but let me warn you that we will not be fishing so much in the mangroves as we did last year but if the seas are rough or for some other reason,if we go inshore ,the fishing is marvelous.Bajasportfishing along with our input will make the final call.Please call me on 509-627-0252 if I could answer a question or 2.
Posted by Ted Krishisky on 2009-12-12 13:17:08 on Dan Blanton’s Bulletin Board.
Mag Bay Fishing Report

Offshore

Walt Temming,George Brown, Doug Fritz,and I went after the elusive striped marlin from Nov.28th through Dec 3rd at Magdalena Bay,Mexico.Our outfitter,Bob Hoyt,told us that there were no marlin,the worst year in his ten years,of outfitting but the wahoo were very numerous.We could attest to that because we did not see a single confirmed marlin,nor any bait balls,or dolphins.It was like fishing in a sea desert.Doug Fritz hooked a wahoo while trolling his fly the first day out only to have a lobo (Mexican for sea lion)snatch it after it was tired out.Walt Temming had two strikes on his trolled fly that we think were wahoo.He also landed one 6-8 pound dorado that had no amigos that I could have cast to.We fished offshore for two and a half days,thank God for the esteros.The wind was strong the six days of fishing and getting through the Lopez Mateous boca was a white knuckle experience each time we ventured out.It was not a place for pangas or inexperienced captains.After getting out,the sea swells were between two and six feet.Everyone’s body ached after a day of offshore fishing.Bob did say that he believed that the marlin moved northward due to the large amount of fresh water brought about by the earlier hurricane.Oh,lest I forget,Walt did catch a Yellowfin tuna while trolling.It made wonderful sashimi.Bob also said that a party boat on the way back from Cabo caught 29 striped marlin in one day about 100 miles north of where we were.

Inshore
In a nutshell,the inshore fishing was excellent .In three and a half days,we caught over 400 different fish.We caught a bonefish,a croaker,two each 7 inch long vertical living fish with a mouth the size of a baseball,3 each sierra mackerels,groupers,sea basses,pompanos,golden jacks,halibuts,pargos,corvinas,and snooks.The largest fish was Doug Fritz’s 20 pound golden jack.I caught one about 12 pounds.But here’s the rub,we lost seven that broke our 20,and 30 pound leaders,and a fly line.Bob said that they were probably large snook and they only land one in ten fishing with conventional gear.The grouper is one of the hardest hitting fish that I have ever caught when retrieving in a straight pull.They often hit like a shad when the fly is just swinging and me pulling in a little line to make it tight.The pompano were very good fighters especially with a n 8th weight rod like my partner Walt Temming was using.I was using an 11 weight trying to land one of those tackle busting monsters.If we had our delta boats equipped with strong trolling motors,we would have done much better because with the strong tidal action and the blustery always present wind,we spent a good amount of time just trying to get the correct distance from the mangroves.

Food
It was good ,George and Doug treated us with a large amount of fresh shrimp as an appetizer as well as cerviche made with the sierra.Bob and Diana,his wife,treated us to a great blue crab feast.As I mentioned before,the sashimi was excellent.

Rooms
They were adequate,nothing fancy .

Outfitters

Mag Bay Outfitters, Bob Hoyt,can be reached by telephone on 760 250 7593 in USA and his email is magbayoutfitters@sbcglobal.net.He provided good quality sea worthy boats with knowledgeable captains

Two Disappointments
1.There were no marlin within a 40 mile radius.
2.Because there were no marlin south ,we didn't’t get a chance to rough it on the island in Bob’s 5 casitases.We would have had an easier run to Thetis Banks and other marlin hot spots.

Next Year
.If I go next year and there is a possibility,it will be in early Nov.with a quarter tide instead of a full moon like we had this trip.The mangrove sloughs at times were like white water rivers.I was using a 500 grain sink tip trying to get down inside the mangroves with heavy Clousers.

Birding
I believe Lopez Mateous is the osprey capital of the world.There was a nest every 2 or 3 blocks inside the tiny village.I counted over 30 myself.There was a plethora of waterfowl such as herons,egrets,ducks,cormorants,etc.I took over 200 pictures of birds.I easily could have used a couple of hours taking more.

Bottom Line,
We all had a great adventure.The offshore fishing was terrible with the inshore fishing excellent.The companionship was excellent.

Ted