PDA

View Full Version : Hand Tied Leaders?

Jaybinder
05-27-2010, 11:23 AM
I've heard people talking about "hand tied leaders" or "custome Leaders".

How are these made?
What materials do you use?
Is this done to have custom lengths, custom sizes, better quality or another reason? I assume it's a combination of those things.

I normaly use 9' to 12' 5x leaders for most all stream and river conditions. The only real acception is streamer fishing but I dont do that much. If there is any real advantage I'd like to try it this year. If it's just a big pain in the ass I'll skip it.
Any pointers are greatly appriciated.

Thanks
Jason

Rick J
05-27-2010, 12:06 PM
don't really see a need for hand tied leaders for trout but I do for steelhead as I always use Maxima material for steelhead and salmon. But I am not too anal about my leaders - generally for a floating steelhead leader I will start with 20 or 25# - maybe 4' and then step down in increments of about 8" to 12" - say 25- 20-15-12-10-8 - this depends on my final tippet - normally 10# or 8# - the final tippet will be maybe 18" long. I know there are formulas but the above works well enough

Darian
05-27-2010, 11:20 PM
I agree with Rick J on this. I only use custom leaders for specific situations; like saltwater. Then I twist my own. I stopped using knotted, step down leaders for Trout fishing long ago. They just catch to much salad on the knots. A commercial, tapered leader works just fine for me.

I do believe that it's important to learn how to construct custom leaders for that time when you find yourself away from a supply and have to make your own....

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-28-2010, 12:34 AM
Many years ago they did not have very good knot-less tapered leaders so we use to hand tie them.

There are basic guidelines/formulas on the web if you look for them.

I still tie up some of my saltwater leaders.

It is nice to not have all those knots so many just use factory knot-less tapered leaders now for trout.

When I get a chance I can write up a bunch of basic rules/guidelines for making up your own leaders.

Jaybinder
05-28-2010, 04:45 AM
Thanks for all the information guys. I guess I'll stick with store bought.

Scott V
05-28-2010, 07:25 AM
Jason, what I do with store bought leaders is put a perfection loop on the end and just switch out pieces of tippet. I will usually get a 7' 4X leader then add on tippet via perfection loop to perfection loop. It has saved me so much money in leaders, an average leader now lasts months compared to days.

The only time I make leaders is when I am going to fish saltwater, then I tie up the super easy twisted leaders with 20 pound mono.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-28-2010, 08:02 AM
Good one Scott...........

Ralph
05-28-2010, 08:11 AM
Hey Bill-
What's your read with furled and braided leaders? I have given them both a try (for trout) but didn't notice any great advantage that would outweigh the cost. IMHO quality pre tapered trout leaders are one of the most under-appreciated advances in fly fishing over the past decade.

GreggH
05-28-2010, 08:34 AM
I've been using John's twisted string for a couple years now and couldn't be happier. Big top water rigs and fat Clousers turn over beautify in the biggest of winds. John is from Marin and is a top striper guide in the bay as well.

http://www.twistedleaders.com/index.html

Pound
05-28-2010, 09:57 AM
here is a leader calculator. i've been meaning to try it out, but haven't done so...

http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/leadercalc/

Pound

DFrink
05-28-2010, 11:49 AM
I use floro hand tied leaders for nymphing, I think the floro gets the fly down quicker. I also use loops, and it does save a lot of money on leaders. Funny thing is I'm not really sure I catch more fish with all of the effort:D.

Rick J
05-28-2010, 12:28 PM
I don't like loops in my leader connection to the tippet especially in spring creek conditions - can mess with very tough dead drifts and also can collect weeds - a 4 turn surgeons is very strong and takes up very little of the leader to tie - I am often adding 30" or more of tippet to my leader in tough conditions and I don't know when the last time is I have had to replace a leader unless I get a nasty snarl. Once I get up a bit on the leader, I can just splice in a short piece of tippet then add a longer tippet - if I have a 5x leader that I add 6x tippet to - once I get back up on the 5x I just add a section of 5x back in and follow up with my 6x tippet - I have had leaders on my rod that have gone for over 2 or 3 years without replacing

DFrink
05-28-2010, 01:23 PM
I guess I should have mentioned that I use loops to connect my leaders to my main line. I use a surgeons knot to tie tippet to my leader, or to make my own leaders if nymphing.

oldtrout
05-28-2010, 01:43 PM
For the last ten years or so I've been purchasing knotless tapered leaders. I cut about two feet off and put in a perfection loop. Then I add three to four feet of tippet with a loop-to-loop connection. Like someone who posted earlier, my leaders usually last an entire season.

When fishing subsurface, for no good reason I can think of at the moment, I employ blood or double-surgeon knots in place of loops.

Jaybinder
05-31-2010, 05:53 PM
I realy like the idea of the perfect loop at the end of the leader. It will make attaching tippets much quicker.

Should the loop be just big enough for the tippet and knot to fit through?

Charlie Gonzales
06-01-2010, 07:25 AM
Loop to loop sounds cool but gives you two major disadvantages....1) more matierial to cast a shadow, on a place like the Yuba or a spring creek this will make a difference. 2) not nearly as strong as a double or triple surgeon, perfection is rated about 80% breaking strength and surgeon I think is in the 90's.

For nymphing you can use a tippet ring, they are cool.

In top water bass fishing the knots of a hand tied leader will collect more junk.

For striper I too use John Quigley's twisted leaders with a 35# barrel swivel built in for easy tippet change. They turn over the grande Pole Dancer much easier.

A simple leader formula is 60/20/20

I cant think of a reason to hand tie leaders anymore, other than just to try it, but make sure your knots are good.

Good luck Jay.

golfish
06-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Here is the nymphing leader Gary Borger explained in his presentation at the Pleasanton show. I'm gonna try it out next weekend on the Pit.

http://www.garyborger.com/nymphing-leader/