PDA

View Full Version : Gear Rental?

BobVP
05-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Has anyone ever rented gear when going to a place far away....where they may get to fish a little but not all the time.....and you wanted to avoid carryin the rod on the airline?

I am thinking of renting gear for my trip to Martha's Vineyard (if I can find a place that does that) because I will only have a few days to fish and there are other parts of the trip I won't need the rod so it will just be a piece of luggage.

If you have rented equipment what has been the typical daily fee and what has been the quality?

Thanks

Rich Morrison
05-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Got a 4 piece rod? I always throw a 5 wt 4 piece rod, a reel, and a box of flies (minor research required) in the bottom of my duffel on any trip where I might find some water. I can always get some tippet and the mandatory local hot flies when I get a licence. I do know a guy who runs a fly shop...they rent decent quality gear but only to clients they are guiding.

BobVP
05-27-2010, 06:14 AM
Thanks for that but this is different than usual for me as my only 10wt rod is much longer than the 5wt four piece I carry (just about everywhere).
With my waders (recommended by the local guides) and other gear I am already pushing the luggage limits.....of course the new luggage limits my mean a wallet too large!

Jay Murakoshi
05-27-2010, 02:54 PM
If I do any fishing travels in the states, I'll usually send it UPS to my destination. As for rentals, some shops do have that program but a lot of the times, they don't rig up the gear right. I'm not saying all shops are like this, but I had a guy here in Baja who had a rental and had the WF put on backwards

Jay

Rich Morrison
05-27-2010, 09:33 PM
If I do any fishing travels in the states, I'll usually send it UPS to my destination. As for rentals, some shops do have that program but a lot of the times, they don't rig up the gear right. I'm not saying all shops are like this, but I had a guy here in Baja who had a rental and had the WF put on backwards

Jay

So would that be a WB line?
I had a one off business trip to a small tropical island back in 2004 - and I did not have an appropriate travel rod for the plentiful Trevally in the area. I just jumped on ebay and got the correct weight rod for a mere $150 and had it shipped to the island ahead of me...to the hotel. I called them to let them know it was coming. It was there when I arrived. The rest of the needed gear fit in my luggage. This inexpensie rod was quite serviceable for the time I spent fishing. I UPSed it home and sold it on ebay for $10 more than I bought it for. All in all probably cost me less than a rental would have and it worked out great.