PDA

View Full Version : Great Day of Fly Fishing on the Truckee

RenoLipRipper
05-26-2010, 06:38 PM
Finally tried the Truckee. At first I spin casted a jig, and caught upwards of 70 fish and lost 30. Single barbless does that sometimes. Then pulled out the fly rod, which was still rigged for Pyramid midging and caught 25 with the indicator. Then got rid of the indicator and the midges, and put one streamer and stripped in 73, and missed about 30 to 40 again due in part to using barbless single hooks. Size was lacking as the largest was 18 inches down to 10 inches. But the quantity more than made up for it. Would have loved to catch a few (one) healthy sized rainbow or brown. But not today. Fished from about 11:15am to about 5:00 pm.. Feet were frozen. Some fish were rising temping me to try a dry, but not enough. A couple of others were fishing spinning with lures and doing well also, but not the numbers I was having. No sooneer did I bring in one and either the barbless hook was already out or I had to quickly take it out recast (roll cast) I had a fish on. Even when I wasn't even trying to get one I was. I was on the East side of Reno.

thekid
05-26-2010, 07:25 PM
This sounds like a fish story if you ask me. 70, 30, another 70. Who would even talk of a day like this? Especially on the Truckee.

the kid

loganmike
05-26-2010, 08:12 PM
Put the beer down and walk away from the keyboard, RRL, walk away!

me

Clark
05-26-2010, 10:02 PM
C'mon guys! You've never caught a fish every 2 minutes for 5 1/2 hours straight? Happens to me all the time. Really not that hard to do. Plus it was on the T. That river is super easy to fish! I'm not impressed at all.

Jay
05-26-2010, 11:36 PM
whiskey. tango. foxtrot.

thepeacockspecial
05-27-2010, 05:58 AM
it could possibly be the worst fish story of all time. sorry. no pics no go

RenoLipRipper
05-27-2010, 08:04 AM
I asked another fisherman if it was always like this and his reply was "NO". He said he fished there often. He also commented that my arm must be tired. Said also that to be catching so many on a fly rod was good. A couple of others said they were going to try fishing with their fly rods next time, but needed a bit of practice in the use of fly rods. Sounds great. Not much different in my opinion as I can strip in a streamer that does about the same thing as their lure. Funny comment was "I feel bad for the fish, using a trebble hook without knocking down the barbs." And he wasn't keeping any of the fish. Maybe next time he will.

I just got very very lucky that day.

I did scope it out the day before, and a spin angler was doing very well using a huge lure, again with trebble hooks and I watched for a while. So I showed up the next day.

A couple of spin anglers caught lunch in about 10 minutes time.

Might go back today, or try somewhere else.

mark
05-27-2010, 08:28 AM
pshhhhhhhh childs play RLR, one time I caught 612 fish on Hat creeks power house riffle, IN AN HOUR......... Truckee river......... PLEASE

EBAC
05-27-2010, 08:49 AM
Touching more than two hundred fish in six hours? Isn't that more than a fish a minute? Im gonna have to call Bull S*** on this one, your not fooln' anybody.

RenoLipRipper
05-27-2010, 09:04 AM
Believe what you want. No BS.. As fast as I could get them in and recast (roll) another one on. Just very hungry fish. What can I say.

RenoLipRipper
05-27-2010, 09:05 AM
Sounds like you just had one of those days.

loganmike
05-27-2010, 09:14 AM
RRL,
DId you see the wookie that lives in the forest along HWY 882?

I ran that sunofabitch over once and jumped out and kicked him in the nads b/c he was snorkling stealing all of the large LCT I was catching and eating them before I could get them to shore to bonk em.

I sure am glad he is gone.

me

RenoLipRipper
05-27-2010, 09:14 AM
yep, 200 or so, in 6 hours. Again it was nutz, the action. Would have liked to try a dry just to see if I could get the frequent risers to hit a dry. But having to much fun catching so many on the streamer. Only time not fishing was switching from spinning to fly. Needed more of a challenge, and thought the fly would give me that, but same results, just more fun to fish/catch with the fly. Didn't want to leave, but it was getting very windy. Would have swithed to a sink tip or sinking line but was a bit tired of catching so many. My feet were so numb from spending some much time in the cold water, I barely could walk for awhile.

RenoLipRipper
05-27-2010, 09:18 AM
You must of been smoking some of that funny stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Digger38
05-27-2010, 09:37 AM
A Wookie......lol

Clark
05-27-2010, 10:10 AM
Good thing you didn't tie on a dry. The fish might have eventually come after you and chewed your waders clean off! That happened to me one time on the Lower American.

RLR, i'm just giving you a hard time man. If the story is true,that was an epic day to say the least!

Next time, take a flic or 2 and post those along with your story.

RenoLipRipper
05-27-2010, 10:54 AM
The story is true. I don't have anything to gain by bsing. Had the camera in the truck, but it most likely would have ended up in the river, plus wouldn't have had the time to shot the pics. Also, no real great fish. It was epic, and I haven't had one of those sort of days for a couple of years since moving to Reno. Had some at a lake in Big Bear area of Cali.. Had this little lake/pond wired and would float tube it and get 70+ on a regular basis. But on a river was just amazing. Plus if I would have gone to get the camera, I would have lost my great rock and spot which I wasn't willing to give up at that time. Pics of fish at a lake in So. Calif mountains. Loved this place.

Xnjb707X
05-27-2010, 12:11 PM
You have an awesome memory to remember how many fish you caught and lost. Especially with high numbers like that. You should try out for jeopardy.

huntindog
05-27-2010, 12:41 PM
"the camera was in the truck, with my girlfriend, Heidi Klum, yah thats the ticket"

EricO
05-28-2010, 10:42 AM
"Pics of fish at a lake in So. Calif mountains". Huh?

None of the "Truckee Slayfest 2010"???

And it was Giselle Bundchen....not Heidi. Didn't you know Giselle
left Tom Brady for RLR?? :)

EO

SHigSpeed
05-28-2010, 10:51 AM
"Pics of fish at a lake in So. Calif mountains". Huh?

None of the "Truckee Slayfest 2010"???

And it was Giselle Bundchen....not Heidi. Didn't you know Giselle
left Tom Brady for RLR?? :)

EO

As long as it wasn't Seal - he's an invasive species... ;^)

_SHig

Frank R. Pisciotta
05-28-2010, 01:38 PM
RLR.......you are a great angler...you got me to rise to your fly...well done! =D>

Frank R. Pisciotta

bigfly
05-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Hate to admit it, but RLR, beat my best day for numbers, on the Truckee.
Of course, I am proud Sea world called, to see if I could help re-catch our local Shamu.
For weighing and measuring, and photo proof. (Which is the gold standard.)
If successful, it would only be my 10th time to have hooked/brought her to hand.
Yes, Shamu is a female. I could tell by the way she looked at me, the big black eyes, the small but firm mouth, and that cute little wiggle when she swims away.
I've compared her "tail" photos with other researchers and fishermen.
It could be a new Galactic record for a non-indigenous, non-anadromous, Mykiss,
above 6000 ft. on 12x tippet with and a sz 64 cream midge..
Should the planets align, and the photo op works out (she is shy), I'll post her on this forum,
much reduced, so as not to take up too much computer server.
Hope you guys are getting out.

Jim

ps. Shamu loves March Browns too.