PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Almanor Hex Surprise

Katz
05-25-2010, 01:38 PM
Just found this photo and thought it might provide a little entertainment. I was fishing dries on Lake Almanor in early July 2009 and had a nice fish "slurp" down my Hex.

After a "non-trout like" bulldog battle this is what came to hand. Just over 12lbs.

Fight well, but don't smell as good as many of the other Lake Almanor residents......

Katz

Scott V
05-25-2010, 01:59 PM
I wouldn't mind hooking one of those. I am making my first Lake Almanor hex hatch trip next month. I'll be taking hte Lincoln Grey class with others from Kiene's.

Anne Vitale
05-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Scott... have you heard from Lincoln Grey regarding the upcoming Almanor hex trip? I sent in my check a couple of months ago but have not heard back one way or the other. We are only about three weeks away from trip date and I am getting antzy......Anne

aaron
05-25-2010, 05:54 PM
Anne no worries the class is full go, was discussing it with Lincoln today. I'll have him shoot you an email or post here tomorrow. Should be fun, hoping to join you all.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-26-2010, 08:11 AM
We have a Hex hatch on Lake Natomas right neear Sacramento in mid-summer right at sunset.

In the past we have gone after them in float tubes and prams.

Might be a problem now with the park closer times though.

Might be fun for some to see the largest size (#6) may fly we have in person.

michaeln
05-26-2010, 08:28 AM
I'd be happy to catch 12lbs of anything with a fly rod. Way to go!

Jgoding
05-26-2010, 10:16 AM
If you're lucky you can catch a few emerging on the American too....not that I would call it a hatch or anything..... I think my record is seeing 3 come off the water in one evening...

Lincoln Gray
05-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Anne - I PM you. Thanks - Lincoln

wineslob
05-27-2010, 08:35 AM
I'm wondering how the weather is going to effect the hatch this year. It's supposed to snow today at around 4000 ft. Maybe later than normal?

(I don't mind getting the carp, but man, they stink)

Troutstalker55B
05-27-2010, 03:33 PM
I've seen bugs hatch as early as the first week of June and go until August, and there is that one time I saw a small hatch in Oct! There is a peak of the hatch, and this year will be a guess. The worst thing that can happen is a good hatch comes off, the fish key in on them and then we get major heat - The bugs will still be there but the fish will go where there is cooler temps and food.

It's a great game, and I can't wait to fish my proven, unsinkable, glow in the dark hex cripple.

Jon.