PDA

View Full Version : Like a Frog

marcshaw
05-23-2010, 06:17 PM
I've been tinkering with the trailing portion of my bass poppers lately trying to make the parts look more like frog legs. It occurred to me that to do this right I ought to see what a frog really looks like when it's floating in a pond. Does anyone have a link for photos or a video that shows a frog in the water from underneath? An underwater video of a swimming frog would be even better!

Darian
05-23-2010, 10:20 PM
Haven't seen many pics of Frogs but from what I've seen of live Frogs, they hold legs down in open water with only the eyes showing above. Body/legs are hanging down when at rest. When startled, they dive and push off at a steep angle. To imitate this, a floater/diver (Umpqua Swimming Frog :question: ) pattern would be my choice. I know you mention that you're tying poppers but I'm suggesting that a better imitation would be a deer hair diver. 8)

It seems to me that in tying patterns imitating Frogs, proportions are very important. In most Frogs, their legs are longer than the body. IMHO, the legs on many patterns are too short. Materials for legs are numerous (rubber legs, Deer hair, silicone legs, saddle hackle, etc.). I prefer saddle hackle. :neutral:

Not necessary but any pattern imitating Frogs probably should be lightly weighted towards the rear of the body so that it sits tail down in the water. The same could be done with a popper, too. Might contribute to the "walking the dog" action on retrieve.... 8)

Colors can be very basic (olive/white/yellow). However, nearly every color combo I've seen works at some time or another. 8)

Darian
05-24-2010, 11:36 AM
marcshaw,.... If you Google swimming frog, you'll have some choices of photo's of Frogs swimming and resting in water. Hope that helps you.... :D

marcshaw
05-25-2010, 07:52 AM
I should have mentioned that I am using a popper head but turning it around to face the "wrong" way to mimic the deer hair head of a swimming frog. I then add deer hair behind the popper head also like the swimming frog. My problem is the legs, both front and back. I agree that many patterns have the legs too short. I've had the most success so far with saddle hackle but am looking for something more realistic. I've tried thin rope and rubber bands. Both look bad to my eye. That's why I want to see the real thing and try again. Thanks for the input. I'll try Google.

Darian
05-25-2010, 09:44 AM
Kinda sounds like what you have is a slider not a popper.... :confused: Kevin Doran (KD) makes a deer hair version of a top water slider called a Mat Rat that might give you some ideas for legs. :neutral: Check it out:

www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19491

The legs on these flies are prepared in advance by wrapping the butt ends of buck tail together with tying thread. These legs are not tied into the pattern. After they're prepared, they're glued in with UV knot sense or something similar.

If you haven't already considered/thought about this you could drill a shallow/small diameter hole on each side of the point where the hook comes out of the back of the body and insert the deer hair into those holes with some quick curing epoxy or UV knot sense.

If these straight deer hair legs aren't quite what you'd like, you might consider bending a short length of fine/springy (piano :question: ) wire at about a 90 degree angle and inserting it into the deer hair during preparation. After gluing the legs into the body, wrap some tying thread around the deer hair at the point where the bend occurs; creating a jointed leg.... (hope that explanation's not confusing) 8)