PDA

View Full Version : Lake Davis: Launching a 'toon

michaeln
05-23-2010, 06:01 AM
I have been up to Davis a couple times this year but the west side road has been closed, so I was unable to explore that side.

I can see on maps there are dirt roads branching off of the main west side road that appear to go down near the water at Freeman Creek and Cow Creek.

Assuming we have some dry weather between now and mid-June, are those roads normally drivable in a low ground clearance front wheel drive vehicle like my Honda Civic? I would like to be able to launch my 'toon close by and since it is not motorized I will be using oars and fins and would rather not have to row it 2 miles to get there.

Can one of you vets tell me about cartop launch possibilities on the west side?

Thanks!

http://michaelnel.smugmug.com/Boats/2010-03-06-outlaw-details/toonbaum/875948884_kwJ8b-O.jpg

RenoLipRipper
05-23-2010, 07:28 AM
Can't speak for what it is like currently as I haven't been on the west side as it has snow, mud etc.. But last year while the west side road was dry, the off shot roads that are posted as fishing access roads were looking like a mud bog. I don't have a 4x4 and didn't want to get stuck, so I ventured to a spot that looked like I could get there. However, depending on how much clearance you have, I did take note that some of the roads while driveable later on in the season, had some pretty serious whoops and uneven terrain. Also large ridges going down the middle and uneven. Hate to see you tear up the bottom of your auto.

Troutstalker55B
05-23-2010, 07:30 AM
Michaeln,

Count Freeman out, the road was blocked short years ago and it's a good 15- 20 minute walk to fishable water. Cow will be no problem for the toon and the civic, Jenkins is good for the toon but the road can have some deep ruts at times. With the lake at higher levels don't count out launching at Camp 5. There is dan blough cove and many others to the south heading to Eagle point. If your going to fish Lake Davis a dozen times this year, just buy the season pass for $30 at the Grasshopper campground for the fee area sites. I put mine on the inside of the window with tape so I can transfer it to my other vehicles.

3 inches of snow here at the house since Friday, it's cold and gray out with a low this morning of 22. Looks like another late damsel hatch again this year.

Jon.

michaeln
05-23-2010, 07:57 AM
If your going to fish Lake Davis a dozen times this year, just buy the season pass for $30 at the Grasshopper campground for the fee area sites.

Thirty bucks for all year? I just paid reserveamerica.com $69 for three nights at Grizzly campground ($20/night) and a $9.00 reservation fee!

PS: Just checked, they want $19.00 as a cancellation fee if I cancel. I guess I'll keep it and stay at Grizzly.

jayclarkflyfishing
05-23-2010, 08:41 AM
The $30 fee is for day use at Honker and Camp 5 for the season($5 per day).If you stay at Grasshopper or Grizzly the fee is waved but you need to get a sticker from the campground host.All other access points are free of charge.

Snowing again as I type...

Jay

michaeln
05-23-2010, 09:03 AM
Count Freeman out, the road was blocked short years ago and it's a good 15- 20 minute walk to fishable water.

Thanks. I can carry the 'toon over my shoulders, but not for 15-20 minutes.

Cow will be no problem for the toon and the civic

Cool, that sounds like a plan. That would put me in easy rowing distance to the northern spots on the west side.

With the lake at higher levels don't count out launching at Camp 5.

I don't need a launch ramp, I can just launch from a shoreline / beach.

There is dan blough cove and many others to the south heading to Eagle point.

I will keep that in mind, thanks. That's also the area with the evening blood midge hatches, isn't it? I'd like to get into some of that stuff!

3 inches of snow here at the house since Friday, it's cold and gray out with a low this morning of 22. Looks like another late damsel hatch again this year.

Man. I hope it starts warming up soon to dry out the west side dirt roads!

Thanks!