PDA

View Full Version : Upper Stanislaus???

Spicytuna1
05-20-2010, 11:00 AM
I am heading up the hill to stay with my girlfriends dad who like to fish the upper Stan he is a conventional guy.

I was wondering if anyone on here might have some information for me in regards to recent reports and what flies I should be throwing?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Dan L
05-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Which Fork are you going to and when. Right now all of the forks are very high and cold. If it is the North Fork I will help you with fly selection as I can.

Thanks
Dan

troutbm
05-21-2010, 05:16 PM
Better hope it isn't the north fork, Its totally unfishable right now its over 1,000 cfs. I only fish it up to 200. Upper middle fork, Very high and not in good shape at all. South fork, possible, I think its around 200 at strawberry, Looked good last week. Theres a spot on the middle stan were flows almost never change. Do your homework and find it.

Spicytuna1
05-24-2010, 03:21 PM
We were up about 10 miles short of Kennedy Meadows and I was able to stick a nice little 12" on a black stonefly, didn't know what else to throw at em. I was very happy to be able to pick a fish off in a totally new place. We headed home early due to the snow storm that decided to dump on us.

I will be up there again over the summer around the Kennedy meadows area any Fly selection info would be greatly appreciated.

fj40
05-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Size 16 adams will get em. How were the flows?

Spicytuna1
05-25-2010, 05:03 PM
I don't really know much about this piece of water, but I was very surprised with the clarity, It was flowing fast making it very technical fishing but the clarity was great the fish I caught was form sight fishing. I saw him at the tail out of a little run and was able to put my fly right in his face. If I were to guess on a cfs I would say maybe around 350 or so but that is a shot in the dark. I can tell you its fishable but not easily, you have be handy with the rod to get a decent drift. Good luck if you make let me know how you did.

Rick_Berry
06-02-2010, 12:34 PM
I hit Kennedy Meadows every year in August and I use this system every time: Size 8 Yellow Stimulator with a Size 16 Tungsten BH Prince Nymph dropper, trailing off the hook bend about 18". The wild trout will go for the Stimulator (looks like a hopper) and the planters go for the Prince Nymph. Look for the shallow riffles and runs that the bait fishers can't/won't fish. You can get a 20+ fish day up there with this system. Just don't spend too much time on any one hole and don't forget about the upper meadow.

Good luck!

- Rick.

robdog
06-02-2010, 09:05 PM
I hit Kennedy Meadows every year in August and I use this system every time: Size 8 Yellow Stimulator with a Size 16 Tungsten BH Prince Nymph dropper, trailing off the hook bend about 18". The wild trout will go for the Stimulator (looks like a hopper) and the planters go for the Prince Nymph. Look for the shallow riffles and runs that the bait fishers can't/won't fish. You can get a 20+ fish day up there with this system. Just don't spend too much time on any one hole and don't forget about the upper meadow.

Good luck!

- Rick.

BTW Rick, you were one of my favorite Basketball Heroes ;)

Rick_Berry
06-04-2010, 09:13 PM
BTW Rick, you were one of my favorite Basketball Heroes ;)

Yeah. I cast underhand too!