PDA

View Full Version : Third Day

Jay Murakoshi
05-18-2010, 03:02 PM
It was actually my third straight day on the water. The morning ride to the island was bumpy, pretty good winds from the west... We met a bait guy on the south end so our trip wasn't that long. Went to the bajo to look for a skippie to drag behind the boat for the dorado. The third cast I hooked into a skippie which I thought was going to be small, wrong. It cleared line off the reel and down about 200'. This fish was hooked on a TFO Mini Mag rod. Seven minutes later, a 10lb skippie to hand. No dorado showed up except one but he was way out of casting range. Then a marlin decided to cruise by and tease us.
He too was way out of casting range, especially into a 15mph wind. The boat was rock'n and roll'n. We headed to where Ramon said there were some big roosters yesterday and it might be protected from the winds. Just outside Muretos Bay there were big roosters busting all over the place but not eating flies. There were 5 other boats there and no one had a bent rod. Then we headed south to Boca de Alamo in search of the Pez Gallo. Not one fish was seen. Headed back to Muertos Bay to pick up some bait. A couple of Ramon's friends have a barrel with sardinas in it. We filled up again and then headed to Punta Arenas. We were met with some pretty stiff north winds but somewhat protected by the sand dunes. There were 7 fly fishing boats there. Two of my boats and 5 boats from my buddy Gary Bulla. Saw one guy on the bow hanging on to a big fish, most likely a big rooster. It wasn't long before the roosters were all around and eating bait and flies. Have you ever seen a 35lb rooster charge a fly and eat it.... It's fantastic.
FISH ON!!!!... And here goes the line out to the horizon. Once again, I was using the TFO Mini Mag rod and a Galvan T-10 reel. Not worried about line capacity. 15 minutes and the fish was to the boat, the captain grabbed the fish and one shake of the head and the fish was gone. The rooster had worn the leader thin. The fly had to be deep because the mono was frayed 5" up. OH WELL, to me a caught fish around 15 kilo's. I also had a toro in the 10lb range. My boat partner couldn't buy a fish today, I think the wind really affected his casting, no I know it did.
My other boat had a 35lb rooster and a 17lb rooster and 5 other small ones. Yesterday the same person had a 35lb rooster and one just a shade smaller. His fish were weighed on a boga.

Tomorrow is day 4. Hopefully I'll talk about dorado, but what the heck and 30lb+ rooster is nothing to sad about.

Jay I love my job

Darian
05-18-2010, 04:50 PM
WOW!!!! Big Pez Gallo.... If I had any hair I'd get a Mohawk. :eek: That might get the Roosterzzz attention.... :nod: Too bad the winds a blowin'.... :( I can't believe our weather up here is still acting like early spring. :confused:

All my gear is ready to go. All I gotta do is pack.... :D :D :D

k.hanley
05-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Say hey Jay and crew...........
If you want to see what the catch was today, head over for a gander at Bulla's website. Gary and his group posted some pics this afternoon. Fantastic action. Outstanding quality catches. Looks like the timing is right for destroying some more fly gear! Gotta love it! Baja is without -a-doubt one of the best buys on the planet.

Here's the link: http://www.garybulla.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=4744
Cheers, Ken

Jay Murakoshi
05-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Photo's only tell a little story, ya gotta be here to see the action on the boats. I think we could have a few more fish to the boat but we're out exploring different areas. I'm looking for the "big one". big one of anything.
I like exploring new waters and testing them out. If the winds cooperate, we might head to the "88".

One thing I would like to stress to people going on any baja trip. Get you casting down. I'm talking about chuck and duck type of casting. Like I've been telling my boat partner, get the line in the water, you won't catch a rooster in the air. Learn go roll cast the line when the sinking part of the line hits your hand, roll cast, water load, back cast & shoot line and then rip it. These roosters and jacks are fast

Jay