PDA

View Full Version : A suggestion

Charlie S
05-17-2010, 07:16 PM
For those who want a relaxing weekend or week day camping/fishing trip I would suggest you consider Lake Mendocino near the town of Ukiah. Very nice Corps of Engineers maintained and administered campgrounds, two launching ramps, and some pretty good fishing.

Fly fishing for bass, crappie, bluegill and giant carp. The carp are everywhere now that some dunderhead introduced them to the lake. But, they are fun if you can figure out how to catch them. I use a smallish nymph on a long (12' or more) leader, intermediate line, in the shallower or shelving areas. A boat is really needed for serious fishing but if you just want to play around a float tube or pontoon boat would do. Watch out for irresponsible (and probably drunk) water skiers and jet boats.

There is also some fair fly fishing in the stretch of the Russian River that flows into the lake. This is a put and take fishery with regular plants from DFG. Access runs from excellent to fair. Take time and explore.

There are also numerous fine wine tasting rooms in the area if you like to try some better vintages that are available at lower prices than those found in Napa and Sonoma counties. Also so really good restaurants around as well. Have fun exploring.

GreggH
05-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Hey C,

OK, so I got the fly, leader and string but how do you fish'm. Site cast just ahead,on top? Dead drift, Slow retrieve, wrinkle retrieve super slow? Give us the Sweet Charlie teas'm to please'm carp catch'n run down. Please.

Charlie S
05-18-2010, 12:49 PM
I try to spot them (early morning and late evening most productive) and sight cast to them. If they are shallow enough I'll use a floating line with a weighted fly. Intermediate if deeper. In all cases I use an 8wt rod (and sometimes wish I had a 10 wt). Very slow hand twist retrieve. Sometimes near a shelf area in 6-8 ft of water, a nymph suspended under a bobicator will do the job nicely as well. Hope this helps.