PDA

View Full Version : hit the pond

jbird
05-17-2010, 01:13 PM
I decided last minute yesterday to run out to our "in town" resevoir. I got out on the lake at about 5 and there was a very light breeze. I had a little leech and a chironomid set up under an indicator from the last time I used my 3wt. So I figured what the hey. I imediately caught a respectable bass on...not the leech... Ever see a bucketmouth with a chironomid in the lip? LOL. I caught 9 more in the next hour, all on that crazy little midge. A couple were in the 12-14" range.

The wind picked up something feirce so I snuggled lin behind a submerged willow in my tube and got a HUGE crappie within seconds. He measured 11" on my apron. This is when it gets silly. I dont have any idea how many of these huge crappie, sprinkled with gorilla sized bluegill I got over the next 2 hrs but it was well over 50 and maybe closer to 75. The smallest crappie I laid on the apron was 9" and the smallest gill was 6". I dont think I waited more than 15 seconds without a hookup at any given time within that period.

It started getting dark and the wind laid down so I tied on my trusty floating dragonfly nymph and started casting toward shore. I got about a dozen explosions and landed 6 bass from 12" to....well... fist size mouth fish.

I can not remember ever having this fast of action fishing anytime in my life. and the quality of every fish was excellent. Man those crappie were HUGE! I had to have rehooked several fish several times because I caught so many in such a small area.

Good fun on a sunday evening!

Darian
05-17-2010, 02:31 PM
Uhhhh..... Where'd you say that reservoir was :?: :?: :?: :?: :lol: That really was a great outing.... :nod: