PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid on Sat

vaughn
05-17-2010, 12:03 PM
I took my nephew to Pyramid on Saturday for his 1st FF (and tubing) experience. Decided to avoid the usual crowd at Pelican and drove up to the stretch of beach just north of Monument Rock. Beautiful weather and scenery as always. On the water by 11:00 and off at 6:00. Overall a slow day with only a few take-downs but I managed two big fish stripping a purple crystal bugger on a camo line working parallel to the ledge. The highlight for the day was watching my nephew attempt a frantic line recovery as the fish headed straight for his tube, ultimately giving up on stripping line in favor of a hand-over-hand "yard the fish in" approach- with predictable results. Some things just take practice! Saw some spin guys getting a few on spoons from shore. The fish are definitely there but not in great numbers. We watched several fish sipping ladybugs- next time I'll have a rod rigged and ready for that... Vaughn

SHigSpeed
05-17-2010, 12:28 PM
I've read about this ladybug action, but still haven't seen it firsthand. So you float a red and black (small) foam beetle? Wouldn't it be a hoot to land a 10 pounder on a "dry"?

_SHig

vaughn
05-17-2010, 02:28 PM
Oh yea- it would be a blast catching those Cuts on a dry... the fish aren't shy either- on two occasions they grabbed a bug within a rod length of the float tube. I witnessed this last year as well with dead-flat conditions. The bugs send out tight vibrations on the surface which I think the fish are also keying on. Just need to have a rod rigged and ready then that opportunity presents itself... Vaughn

bigfly
05-21-2010, 02:54 PM
I'd fish 3x with some snake river mud on the leader. A pyramid beetle tied red foam w/black dots, green underbody. Easy. Just got to be ready when it happens, about this time every year. A real windfall.
They ride the down canyon breeze, from near the crest, where they huddle in a bunch underground for the winter..

Jim