PDA

View Full Version : So eh, where's Caltrout?

Ed Wahl
05-15-2010, 12:22 AM
Well folks, for those that give a rat, the FERC relicensing for the Middle Fork American River Project goes on. It's now into the negotiation stage with PCWA.

Our own Bill Carnazzo is the main man for our side on this. He's attended all the meetings and understands all(or at least most) of the science involved.
He's an attorney who's ready and willing to fight for his water.

And we are going to get better flows, for both wet and dry years in the concerned streams.

When it's all said and done we should rename one of the canyon streams after him.

We're all kind of disappointed in the big 'trout' groups though.

CSPA has been a strong resource. Lot's of advice and technical help. They've been down this road and have the experience to prove it.

TU helps kind of, they have a local rep who's really good keeping a close and personal watch on the activities. But no real national level lawyer type help.

I'm sad to say, as a member, that Caltrout has been completly absent. No reps at the meetings, no advice, no nothing.

This after I contacted their rep personally, and sent her links, data, meeting dates, etc.
Apparantly this watershed, which includes the Middle Fork American, the Rubicon River, both forks of Long Canyon Creek, Duncan Creek, and the lower American between Oxbow Res down to Folsom, just isn't 'high profile' enough to warrant their time and expense.

I'm more than just a little po'd at this group and will no longer contribute to it.

My dollars will now go to CSPA, no if's and's or but's. Those guys are out to make a difference and it shows.

The proof is in the pudding, as they say.

If this looks like an attack piece, well, it is.

[B]If your going to call yoursefl Caltrout, I for one would expect you to leap into the fray when California Trout are at risk![B]

Thanks for nothing.

Ed Wahl

BillB
05-16-2010, 09:13 AM
Okay Ed I'm with you on this. It's bothered me for some time to note that "most" of the action taken by TU is on the Battenkill or some Montana river. And CalTrout, who knows. Granted where I live there is not an abundance of great trout water, so we will receive little or no attention, but come on. I prefer to keep my dough close to home.

I'll look up CSPA for a membership donation and let my other two expire.

Darian
05-17-2010, 03:12 PM
I was one of the charter members of Cal Trout back in the mid 70's. The thinking was that people were disenchanted with Trout Unlimited as they took our dues and invested in projects back east. Thus, the need for Cal Trout. Cal Trout has done a lot of good in California. :nod:

I'm not sure what's happened to the organization recently but have seen a couple of references to conflicts that have occurred written on other BB's. I have no idea what those conflicts are.... :confused:

I long ago resigned my membership as Cal Trout became to preachy for me (....truth be told, I'm just not a joiner). :-\"

BillB
05-17-2010, 03:32 PM
I just read a post on another board in which CalTrout was chiding the public to send letters to the editor of a newspaper for an unfavorable article regarding expenditures for a restoration project in SoCal. That seems to be the extent to their actions as near as I can tell.

I remember many, but not that many, years ago the local fly club built some barriers in the local Golden Trout Wilderness. To the best of my recollection neither of the "major" conservation "clubs" had any involvement fiscal or physical. All efforts were through Kaweah Flyfishers and or DFG. Guess Golden Trout are to far away from New York. NEW YORK CITY!

Darian
05-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Hmmmm,.... Is Cal Trout located in N.Y. or am I misunderstanding your post....?? They used to be located in San Francisco.

As I recall, Cal Trout funded some studies on anadromous fisheries thru Humboldt State and set up some educational funds for potential Icthyologists who would then work for Cal Trout. Also, Cal Trout was heavily involved in the initial restoration of Hat Creek (removal of suckers and installation of fences to stop re-population). Not sure what they do now. :confused:

Guess I should've kept in touch but.... :|

caltagm
05-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Well, that was incredibly difficult. I can understand why no one knows what CalTrout is doing. It's so remarkably well-hidden and vague. If only they had a web page titled "Conservation" or something like that where they could summarize their main campaigns.....

http://www.caltrout.org/

Darian
05-18-2010, 09:50 AM
OK,.... I took a moment to look at the Cal Trout website and found that there is a button for conservation that leads to further buttons for campaigns on FERC re-licensing projects. At the head of the projects listing is a list of priorities for opposition or support based on specified reasons that may answer Ed's question (or not). :confused:

At any rate, There's a website that does contain a bunch of info about Cal Trout. :|

BillB
05-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Sorry Darian, just a snide remark of the type that really never gains ground. My reference was to TU. Why heck, TU isn't even in NY.

My wife always tries to get me not to make some sort of knee-jerk response events. Someday I will learn, maybe.

Darian
05-18-2010, 04:54 PM
No need to apologize. I found this thread interesting as it brought up some old memories.... And a chance to see if anyhting's changed.... :D :D

BillB
05-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Thanks Caltagm. My red, embarrassed face just returned from CalTrouts site. Much more detail than the Stream Keepers Log that arrives in the mail. My wife knows me oh so well.

User instructions: Caution: Make sure brain in engaged before placing mouth in gear.

caltagm
05-19-2010, 09:34 AM
The TU California Council is also very involved. Their website isn't quite as detailed but here's a link to some of the information:
http://www.tucalifornia.org/TUCA_CMS/index.php?page=hydropower-reform

BillB
05-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Thanks again. I have had that one book marked for quite a while and visit it on a regular basis. You are right. I think the CalTrout site seems a little more thorough and nicely detailed.

Tracy Chimenti
05-22-2010, 05:44 PM
I was in a group, chaired by Bob Biacchi, fighting proposed "whitewater" releases that were a direct result of FERC Re-Lic activities. The entire time, Cal Trout remained on the fence and would not take action on the plans for the North Feather. So now, we have whitewater flows for the first weekend of each month there, beginning in May, ending in October, washing the fish food and foliage into the afterbays and such. I believe CDFG is studying the effects of this prototype program, and last I heard, it was not looking good for the whitewater guys. We were also sensing capitulation from Cal-Trout on the Pitt. We also circulated petitions at Kiene's and Flyfishing Specialties, both of which were lost at the stores due mainly to lack of interest. Our fear was basically a take-over of the rivers by boaters and rafters, operations that made no biological sense, yet would increase another form of recreation to the detriment of the river ecology in CA. The boaters had made strong connections with CWR and utility staff that were pushing for the increased flows to generate money and to provide more water for export. Very complicated activities, and by all means, not transparent. I had to wonder if maybe we were missing something... like was Cal Trout trying to simply aquire more inflows and just signed off on what was given... or was this a new chapter in the group's operation? Looking at the Cal Trout website, the group seems to have broadened their scope and now list every environmental issue as well as those affecting trout. Reminds me of the Bluewater Network... They're on California Street, San Francisco-- Cal Trout's on Market Street, San Francisco. Cal Trout also supported getting all two-strokes off our waters as well as major restrictions on steelhead fishing over 10-years ago-- we would have had a few weeks a year to fish for them on the Feather and Sac. There was no comment from them on either of those issues when they were contacted then either.

Darian
05-22-2010, 09:23 PM
After doing some more checking on the Cal Trout website, I see that they're a member of the California Hydropower Reform Coalition (CHRC). Among others, this coalition includes CSPA. The CHRC appears to be the method employed by conservation organizations to participate in the relicensing of dams in California. Since there're 1,200 dams over 25' in height within this state, that's quite a workload for one organization. The CHRC provides numbers and spreads the resource for participating in relicensing activities.... So, maybe that's the answer for Ed.... :confused:

At any rate, priorities described/established for projects by Cal Trout may conflict with our individual ideas but they are necessary in this day of limited resources. Organizations can't simply jump on a horse and ride off in all directions at one time.... :|