PDA

View Full Version : rookie question

jrib
05-13-2010, 05:14 PM
I have never used a fly rod for bass. I have a friend who has a bass pond in the Auburn area that he offered up to me. He said that lately they are surface feeding every morning and evening. What are some good flys to use (details please) and how to present them? Thanks in advance.

Mike Churchill
05-13-2010, 05:45 PM
Since the experienced bass buggers haven't chimed in yet, I'll start you off.

One of the more popular options is an Umpqua Swimming Frog or similar deer hair bug. I buy them small enough to throw on my 3-wt (using a 5-wt floating line in small ponds), a little bigger to throw on my stiff 5-wt (using a 6-wt nymph taper line), and even bigger to throw on my 8/9 wt with a Sage Largemouth line (which is really an 11-wt line). You just toss 'em up to the bank, brush, tules, weeds, etc., and let them sit for a while, then start stripping them back. Experiment with stripping speed, lengths of pauses, etc., until you start getting strikes. Make sure to pause at the inside and outside of any weed lines or shadows.

Poppers (whether balsa, foam, or deer hair), can be fished the same way.

For small bass, wooly buggers, various nymphs, and bushy dry flies also work.

I don't suppose you want some company when you go check out that pond? You could get plenty posting here.

Good luck.

Mike

Ed Wahl
05-13-2010, 06:06 PM
Be very careful jrib, these places can be very dangerous.

Cottonmouths, Copperheads, Rattlers, Black Widows, Brown Recluse, ticks, chiggers, flesh eating bacteria, etc.
Luckily for you I have great experience dealing with such threats. If I were you I'd be sure to take me in there for a safety recon before you fish it.

Seriously though, small poppers or divers like Mike said if you only have a trout outfit. Buggers are always good. Anything that's as big and meaty as your gear will cast will be eaten.

Nymphs, in 12 thru 8 will be deadly on Bluegill.

Ed

thepeacockspecial
05-13-2010, 07:41 PM
"watermelon colored poppers" :thumbsup::fish:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Some other advice would be to over-line your rod 1 to 3 line sizes with a weight forward floating line to throw bass bugs.

The bass lines or saltwater lines work well.

Sage has a new bass line that is very good.

The Outbound Shorts work well too. Outbounds are already over-lined 2 sizes.

__________________________________________________ _________________________

You can use a simple leader that is short and heavier than for trout.

7.5' 0x leaders have a thicker butt section and are a good start for bass bugging.

A short (12-18") heavy (30#) butt section with a level (4-6') piece of 0x tippet is good too.

__________________________________________________ _________________________

I think most are using the non-slip loop know for most all larger flies now.

I prefer to fish barbless because it is easier on the flies, fish, clothing and humans.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Right now that last two hour before dark is a very good for top water bass bugging.

Several old timers who fished lots of Bass years ago liked black poppers and hair bugs best.

Mrs.Finsallaround
05-14-2010, 05:48 AM
Since the experienced bass buggers haven't chimed in yet, I'll start you off.

Sorry jrib... the Bass N Fly is next Friday... the more experienced bass buggers aren't sharing ANY info publicly about bass fishin' till after the tourney. No kidding - I was already politely "scolded" via pm for posting too much info so close to the tourney about 6 wks ago.... You can bet that the day after and beyond, there will be post after post of LMB reports though! :lol:

I'll PM you.... :unibrow:

Scott V
05-14-2010, 07:37 AM
Robin whoever gave you a hard time for posting information, you can tell them that I said get over yourself and stop being a jerk. And if that person is reading this, your a jerk.

jrib, as others have stated right now the only thing I throw for bass is a size 6 or 8 popper on a 5 weight rod. If the bass are over 5 pounds you may want to step up to a 7 weight and throw some bigger poppers and/or deer hair bugs. You can also throw like a wolley bugger or wiggle tail with an intermediate line. If you can afford it, he is actually rather cheap, I would get with Jeff Putnam and take one of his casting classes he gives on the American river. You will cut your learning curve down real quick, plus he is just a good guy.

As for Ed, darn you Ed, you beat me to it. I wanted to make sure it was safe for him to fish one of those deadly ponds. You forgot to warn him about the deadly tail slapping beavers.

jrib
05-15-2010, 06:46 AM
Thanks for the tips. I will give er a go!

Hairstacker
05-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Not much to add beyond the great advice already given. Good luck and let us know how it went! :D