PDA

View Full Version : Another Feather Trophy

Tony Buzolich
05-11-2010, 10:49 PM
What started out today as a shad trip quickly turned in to one of my personal best striper trips.

I got a late start getting out and although shad were the main objective I always carry an extra rod today's being an 8 weight. I had to pass by some really good striper water in order to get up to where I planned on chasing shad. I figured I'd give it a quick shot and make one pass through the snags and then head on up. It was already 11:00 and late for any serious striper fishing.

The wind and the currant together were really moving me along and it was hard to get the fly down very far before having to re-strip and cast again. I finally got a small tap on the fly and saw the flash of a turning fish several feet below the surface. I continued my drift not wanting to spook the fish and slowly worked my way to the other side of the river before motoring back up. I got ahead of where the grab was and repeated the same drift hopeing I'd get a second chance at this fish.

As I passed the same spot the fish hit the fly again, this time with full force and headed straight down into the snags below. As she turned toward open water I used my electric motor to help get her farther out into the middle of the river.

Staying deep and not bursting with any real speed she continued to move around the boat heading both up and downstream at will. Gradually getting a little tired she came to the surface where I could see she was well over twenty pounds. Around the boat again several more times staying deep and then briefly rising before changing direction again. Each time she rose to the surafce she seemed to be getting bigger.

Finally she was ready to get netted and came close to the boat but as I was fishing alone I could not managed a net and this fish together fearing I'd high-stick and break another rod. I dropped the net, grabbed my own leader and put the rod on the gunnel. At the same time I grabbed my Boga thinking this would be safer.

With the fish still in the water next to the boat I tried to open her mouth and attach the Boga. With a quick head shake, she opened her mouth and the fly fell free. I was never able to get the Boga locked on.

After spitting the fly she swam several feet away slowly and sank into the deeper water.

This was the fifth striper I've taken this season over twenty pounds. How big was this one? I don't know for sure but she was the best so far and one I'll remember for a long time.

With the shad now showing up in better numbers more big stripers will be showing up as well. With all of this late season high water we'll have stripers here all summer long.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-12-2010, 08:44 AM
Cool report Tony.......

Darian
05-12-2010, 08:54 AM
Tony,.... You've really been on a roll here. :nod: 5 fish over 20 pounds this season. 8-)