PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding on a reel for my 3wt

SLOflyGuy
05-09-2010, 11:34 AM
I have narrowed the field of all the reels to two that i am looking to buy. This decision is killing me and i need help. The two reels are the Ross Vexsis and the Loop Opti Creek. The price difference is not a big deal because i will be able to get both of them for the same price. So just from quality of reel which one is better. Also i am kinda leaning towards Ross just because more places carry them and seems like it might be easier to get the reel fixed if anything does happen to it. Thanks for any help you can give me.

caniretireyet?
05-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Howdy-- I'd say try casting with both to get a feel for the balance with each on. Both are fine brands and as for drag, there typically isn't a huge need anyway if you're fishing a 3 wt.

Good luck,
Steve

TaylerW
05-10-2010, 09:48 PM
I'm a big Ross fan. Ive had over 5 of their reels and have never had a problem, but as said before a bomb drag isn't really necessary when fishing a 3wt, due to the fact that the main function of a reel is in essence a line holder....

Scott V
05-11-2010, 07:25 AM
I would go with the lightest one, nothing better than a super light 3 weight setup.

BillB
05-11-2010, 08:50 AM
It would be nice to "feel" it with the rod. I don't think you can go wrong with the Ross though.

Mumbles
05-11-2010, 02:15 PM
Not saying that having a Ross like so many others out there is a bad idea, but I've had a few Ross reels and I'd opt for the Loop. I have recently met with a Loop dealer and seen first hand the artwork they call a reel. I belive their US headquarters is in Idaho, which is not that far away from me...or you, right? Same price? I think you'd be getting more bang from your buck on the Loop if both are the same price. Just my two cents, which is a long way from getting you a stick of chewing gum or cup of coffee these days. I've got orvis, redington, sage, ross, galvan, dormisch-absi, allen and vosseler reels. I think I will be looking to find a justification for getting a Loop into my collection.