PDA

View Full Version : Davis 05-07

RenoLipRipper
05-08-2010, 07:06 AM
Got there about 7:30 am. Fished on the East side. Water temp. ranged from 48 to 52. Wind calm in am then progessively got worse during day. Two to net, had a big one on, saw it jump a couple of times then it came unbuttoned. Same for two other smaller ones. Had numerous hits without grabs. While kicking in had line out and a huge whale of a fish tried to leap out of the water right by my fly. Was hopping it would nail the fly but no such luck. I was using a two fly setup, streamer as top fly and trailer was a hairs ear. On a floating line with about 6' to the first fly and about 18" to the second. All hits with this setup were on the bottom fly (hairs ear). Then the action was real slow and I took off the bottom fly and got my second fish to the net on the streamer right away. Left lake at about three.

Question: What do you think about using a two fly set up? Sometimes it seems to get in the way and I don't catch as many fish.

Tried the double midge setup with an indicator, but way to non proactive, I like to be doing something. I know it can be very productive.

Wanted to go to East Carson but the flows have been high and a bit dangerous for wading.

Or was thinking about driving the 2 hours to Bridgeport to fish the East Walker, maybe the miracle mile or further down on the Calif. side and the Nevada side.

How is the Nevada side to fish?

Troutstalker55B
05-08-2010, 07:31 AM
Mike, thanks for the report! My Lake Davis fishing time will be one day a week at best for the next 5 weeks, I got the weed abatement contract with the city of Concord - gotta make hay while the sun shines.

In regards to the two fly lake set up, I tie the trailer fly off the eye of the first fly, I know for a fact my tippet tied to the the bend of the hook has got in the way and cost me some fish.

Best of luck out there, take care.

Jon.

RenoLipRipper
05-08-2010, 09:46 AM
Congrats on the weed abatement contract. I bit off subject, but while we are on weed abatement and city contracts. I was a sales rep. for a so. calif. Caterpillar dealer for about 10 years, and I don't know it you use a skidsteer/multiterrain loader for your weed abatement, but a mower attachment on a machine can do alot of weed abatement, you could get into doing some slope work also. Mulchers take down trees and brushcutters are efficient for weed work.

This week I did alittle bit of weed abatement on our 11 acres her in the Virginia City area, with a Husqavarna weed wacker. Thing works great, started up first time since last year. Not sure what pros like you self use.

As far as the two fly setup. I used to tie off at the first eye of the lead fly then read somewhere to tie off at the turn of the hook. Then a buddy said to tie off at the long tag end of the first fly. Leave the tag end long and then tie off there. Not sure what is the best. I was doing some experimenting friday with different setups.

So far fishing here, I haven't gotten into the 70-100 fish days yet. I had a lake in the So Cal. mountains very dialed in. Seemed like always I would be using my old standby fly, a black leech pattern in about a size 12 and would just kill it. My arm would give me pain with all the fish I would catch at this little 10 acre pond. But what fun.

SHigSpeed
05-08-2010, 02:32 PM
So far fishing here, I haven't gotten into the 70-100 fish days yet. I had a lake in the So Cal. mountains very dialed in. Seemed like always I would be using my old standby fly, a black leech pattern in about a size 12 and would just kill it. My arm would give me pain with all the fish I would catch at this little 10 acre pond. But what fun.

Make sure to ring me when you do start getting into those 70-100 fish days! :)

I'd make do with 50, heck 40!

_SHig

OceanSunfish
05-08-2010, 11:41 PM
Mike, thanks for the report! My Lake Davis fishing time will be one day a week at best for the next 5 weeks, I got the weed abatement contract with the city of Concord - gotta make hay while the sun shines.

In regards to the two fly lake set up, I tie the trailer fly off the eye of the first fly, I know for a fact my tippet tied to the the bend of the hook has got in the way and cost me some fish.

Best of luck out there, take care.

Jon.

Sheep or Goats?!

Sorry. I was just being silly. The city where I live contracts with folks who let their sheep and goats roam the hillsides. They sure do a good job too. The herd even had 4 live births when they were behind my home a couple of weeks ago. For a few days there the roadways reminded me of the road through Hayden Valley in Yellowstone whenever a bear decides to pop his head out of the woods across the Yellowstone River. All cars stop dead, doors fling open, and kids running to the river's edge!

Congrats on getting work.