PDA

View Full Version : Lake season is trying to start in oregon

jbird
05-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Man, Just when we get one almost warm day, the next 5 days are cold and stormin. The lakes are still super cold and some are still holding some ice.

Fished diamond today where I was being pushed around in my float tube by iceburgs. I only lasted about two hours in the 39* water. Its amazing how quickly the ice moves and changes.

The fish are having a tough time waking up for the season but we still hooked about 8 fish each in 2 hrs. I had a huge fish cut me off on an icegurg. Anther one that bolted under the ice and jumped up thru the thin ice and flopped around before falling back thru the hole it made.

Heres a picture of one of the average fish.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/DSC01110.jpg

Langenbeck
05-08-2010, 08:38 AM
Jay: Thanks for the report. Is the South Ramp now open?

jbird
05-08-2010, 09:12 AM
No. We tried puting our tubes in at the pizza parlor. Theres a fair amount of open water ther. There are no fish in the south end yet. We fished it for an hour or so and its totaly vacant down there. The access road and ramp are totally snowed in as well as the ramp and immediate water are still locked in pretty thick ice.
We went up by the resort where I had a banner day last sunday. The fish seem to be spreading out with the ice breaking now. There were fewer fish than last weekend and much more open water. The weathers supposed to take a dump again so it could be a couple weeks before the fish settle into their spring feeding pattern and become more predictable. The problem were gonna have with the south end is, as the ice breaks up, the northwest winds push it all to the south end. It may be the last part of the lake to ice off.

Hairstacker
05-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Jay, that's a heck of a fish for being "average." Sounds like you had a great time even though only 2 hours due to water temps, good for you! Pretty wild about the fish that went through the ice, flopped around, then came back through . . . did you land that one?

jbird
05-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Jay, that's a heck of a fish for being "average." Sounds like you had a great time even though only 2 hours due to water temps, good for you! Pretty wild about the fish that went through the ice, flopped around, then came back through . . . did you land that one?

Thanks Mike :-)

I did land the "icehole" fish :-) To add to the silliness of it, I was against the ice with my tube and the fish jumped thru right next to me. With a long reach I may have been able to net it while it flopped on the ice. lol

Darian
05-08-2010, 02:27 PM
I love it. :D Having a hooked fish jump up thru thin ice and then back into the lake. WOW!!!! That's a new one.... :nod:

When you fish lakes in that condition up there I imagine the fly patterns used might be streamers or leeches, etc., subsurface :?:

Don't know if you've ever fished at Pyramid Lake but the water temps get down into the upper 30's there. Ice forms on the edges but the combo of alkaline water strong winds there prevent it from icing over.... Pretty cold wading up there.... :eek:

jbird
05-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Yes it is all subsurface. The fish arent too picky now because I asume the forage isnt abundant yet.

I cant imagine how high that fish wouldve jumped if there was no ice, since he broke a hole in it. He kinda squirted out and ploped over....like a zit. LOL

I have not fished pyramid but enjoy the reports. Not sure I could include myself in the "ladder line up". But would love to hang one of those big cutts.

PS To add to the comedy of diamond yesterday, My buddy james fished it too from a boat. His report at days end was quite a bit better than ours. Heres the kicker. The hot fly for him was a huge black leech tied from his buddies recently cut beard. The guy had like an orthodox jewish beard goin and he said "the only way Ill shave my beard is if youll use it to tie flies" James did and it was KILLER......probably the grease line streaming out behind it! LOL He called it the wooly bearder. LOL!