PDA

View Full Version : What A Zoo

Tony Buzolich
05-07-2010, 03:20 PM
It's no secret that the stripers are in up river but I caution anyone who might be thinking of coming up to fish. The river is packed with boats everywhere and it gets worse as the day goes on.

Today we got to Wards Landing a little after 5:00AM and couldn't find a parking spot anywhere except on the levee past Butte Slough. Coming out was worse because there were boats trying to get out while more guys were trying to get into the parking lot so they could launch. At the same time there must be a least a dozen plus cars parked at the driveway where they left there vehicles to go out with various guides for the day.

Once you get out on the water plan on a lot of rude drivers there too. Three times today we were within 50' of the bank casting our flies only to have some yahoo drive their boat between us and the bank. Some were trolling and some were just taking the shortest route with no consideration as to where we were casting.

I can't imagine how much more traffic there will be on weekends.

As for fish? Yes, there are good numbers of them, but probably 99% of those taken will be by minnow dunking, bait chunking, or trolling.

For the fly guys, things will get better as the water clears. Right now visibility is barely a foot.

If you decide to go anyway, get there early and know where you are on the water. I'll be at Wards again on Monday,,,,,,,,,,,, probably around 4:00AM,,,,,,,, and I know there will be guys ahead of me.

OceanSunfish
05-07-2010, 10:57 PM
Wow!

Is it the internet? More people now living in closer proximity to Meridian/Colusa? Less fish to fish for thus concentrating fisherman on the only 'game' in 'town'?

As for the rude behavior, well, that goes without saying.... in other words, that's par for the course for our society today. Ask any teacher (that's been teaching for several decades) what the biggest difference in students today vs. 20 years ago and they'll all say "lack of manners"!

Given the state of our below dam fisheries, the escapades of seasonal 'hot spots', and concentration of anglers on before said 'hot spots',....... my little 8 foot pram and a few high desert lakes is what I should really focus on going forward or resort to fishing off-season for lingering fish.

Sorry to hear "it was a zoo" today and your day was spoiled by rude people.

BTW, anybody other than yourself out there flyfishing?

Darian
05-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Tough it out Tony.... In a short period of time you'll be enjoying the warmth of the Baja sun, good fishin', good food and lotsa fun.... :nod: 8-)

DV8
05-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Welcome to California

malbers
05-08-2010, 09:41 PM
DV8,

I am from ID, I can't tell you the thoughts that have gone through my head with those 3 little words. Don't get me wrong I like it here, but those words strike a specific cord in me.

OceanSunfish
05-08-2010, 11:33 PM
DV8,

I am from ID, I can't tell you the thoughts that have gone through my head with those 3 little words. Don't get me wrong I like it here, but those words strike a specific cord in me.

Hey, how do you like our paper fishing licenses?! Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming have had bar coded licenses for quite awhile, right?

Welcome, and don't forget to pin your fishing license to your hat! <grin>

lee s.
05-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Hey Tony!
How'se ya been?
We been snooping and spoofing around in piscatorial persuit of the scaley creatures around and near Verona.
It does seem a bit depressing to see a steady supply of belly up 10"-12" stripers floating downstream. I'm sure they will be consumed by crayfish, otters, BIG stripes, or maybe that humongous sea lion that was shopping continually all day at the junction yesterday, but really some bait dunkers need lessons on RESPECTING their quarry. Of course some of it is just collatoral damage inherint to the method.
So glad you have plenty company up there....keeps us just a weee bit less crowded...MAYBE. ;-)
.....lee s.

inclinejj
05-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Harvesters. Or people who catch the 12 inch stripers and just rip the hook out and toss them back.

I have seen them do it many times..

Try educating those guys, in one ear and out the other..

](*,)

Mike O
05-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Hey, how do you like our paper fishing licenses?! Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming have had bar coded licenses for quite awhile, right?

Welcome, and don't forget to pin your fishing license to your hat! <grin>

At least we can buy them online finally. I love going to Idaho and just giving my name and DL #, and it just spits out of the machine.

As far as wearing the license, we don't have to do that either anymore!! YAY!!