PDA

View Full Version : Spawning Stripers

Tony Buzolich
05-05-2010, 11:29 PM
If you haven't gotten out lately you need to. The Sac is still running high and muddy and normally I would consider it unfishable. But, a good friend said they had been getting some fish in spite of the poor visibility and we needed to give it another try.

We got on the water around 4:30PM and the first thing I noticed was all of the boat traffic. Boats everywhere, running high, running low, trolling, anchored, etc. and this is the middle of the week. Most were bait fishing or trolling.

We worked the banks for a short while but decided to head downstream and try and get away from some of the traffic. It only helped a little.

Fish were scattered and slow in coming until we found a school that seemed to be holding in on spot. We'd hookup, get the fish in, finish our drift, and then return to the top of the run again where we'd first hooked up. This proved successful and we ended up with 13 fish to the boat up to 9 lbs.

One of the most exciting parts of the evening was watching groups of stripers surface and spawn. Between 7:00-8:00PM we saw at least six groups come to the surface and explode in a mating frenzy. There would be a large female near the center with numerous smaller males surrounding and banging into her both releasing eggs and milt together in a violent boil and then quickly disappearing below the surface. What an incredible site.

Hit the Grimes area this morning for only a couple of fish before the wind blew us off the river.

It the water keeps dropping things with continue to get better as it clears. The river is full of shad and with the heavy water flows we should have stripers clear through summer.

OceanSunfish
05-06-2010, 10:16 PM
I see the flows at Colusa are 10K to 11K and steady. I am sort of surprised as I was expecting 15K plus! Nevertheless, this is great as I know the past few springs, the flows have been much lower and the water very clear.....

Overall, I think you're right in that with these flows and expected higher flows into early summer will keep fish around a lot longer this year. I sure hope so.