PDA

View Full Version : Another lake bites the dust....

jbird
05-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Just read in the morning paper that they are going to poison Mann Lake in south eastern oregon with rotenone. The problem is goldfish! Some doofus used them for bait back in 2001 apparently. Now the lake is overrun with giant goldfish that can reach 12"

How would you like to be the idiot responsible for causing this. Amazing how easy it is to introduce a foreign critter that outcompetes everything.

Phil Synhorst
05-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Jay, haven't they heard of just flushing 'em down the toilet up there?
(just kidding)

Turns my stomach to hear that a fishery is going to be poisoned out, for good or questionable motives, it just doesn't sound right.

BillB
05-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Many years ago I watched them decimate a really good tail water river because of trash fish. The stuff kills the fish and apparently everything else. Took a long time to recover.

aaron
05-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Mann used to be a lot of fun. Some of the most beautiful country I've ever spent time in Those damn goldfish showed up in 2001 and by 2003/4 were thick and choking out the lahontans. It's a shame, but at the time we were in a drought cycle and Mann was shrinking so fast it they weren't even sure the lake would be around much longer. The lake up the road went dry around the same time. Hopefully they fix the problem and get the lake repopulated. Last I heard they were paving the road so hopefully it doesn't just make it easier access for this to happen again.

jbird
05-05-2010, 09:17 PM
If they can manage it like diamond lake it can be a great success. They restocked diamond in 2007 after rotenone treatment and the fishery is crazy good now.

OceanSunfish
05-06-2010, 10:03 PM
If they can manage it like diamond lake it can be a great success. They restocked diamond in 2007 after rotenone treatment and the fishery is crazy good now.

I don't think you have any reason to be concerned, especially with the way F&G handled the project at Diamond Lake. Now, if this lake were in CA?!...... Be worried... Be very very worried..... <grin>

aaron
05-07-2010, 12:48 PM
The poison isn't what bothers me about Mann, it's getting another good water year that does.