PDA

View Full Version : Something that Floats

BillB
05-05-2010, 12:00 PM
I have been poised to purchase something that floats in small lakes/ponds. I have been trying to convince myself which was best a pontoon or float tube. I was just about to nab a Fish Cat 4 but saw a post re: a guy that flipped out of the tube and couldn't get the basket to release. Scary! Now I'm leaning toward the pontoon again. Suggestions?

SHigSpeed
05-05-2010, 12:15 PM
I have been poised to purchase something that floats in small lakes/ponds. I have been trying to convince myself which was best a pontoon or float tube. I was just about to nab a Fish Cat 4 but saw a post re: a guy that flipped out of the tube and couldn't get the basket to release. Scary! Now I'm leaning toward the pontoon again. Suggestions?

Fish Cat IV or Fat Cat are fine floating fishing platforms. If you don't go more than a quarter mile or so from launch that is. If you venture further or go on rivers, then a pontoon is better.

Both Outcast tubes have a new apron that's easier to "bail out" of if you flip. Even the old style isn't too bad as long as you're familiar with it. Also, flipping is VERY VERY rare - super stable.

Also, if small lakes or ponds are your gig and you can't park at the water's edge, you'll want the 14 lb tube vs. the 50 lb pontoon!

Go for a FCIV, Fat Cat, or an ODC420. Prowler is overkill, Supercat's are too expensive, Caddis suck.

_SHig

Scott V
05-05-2010, 01:08 PM
I have no idea how a guy flipped a Fishcat 4, I weigh 230 and you would think it would be easy to flip over but it has never happened to me. Plus you can not beat the customer service Outcast has. I love my Fishcat, I also have a pontoon that now sits in a corner of the garage. I can take my Fishcat anywhere and everywhere, it even has backpack straps.

Hairstacker
05-05-2010, 04:59 PM
I have no idea either but if he flipped, I'll bet it happened while he was launching. Maybe he tripped while walking in semi-shallow water?

BillB
05-05-2010, 08:11 PM
I think the post stated that it was on his presentation cast. Man what a haul! They said the tube rolled forward and he couldn't get the stripping apron detached. His buddy had to help. I don't often get the opportunity to fish with a partner as they are working, so I will be alone often.

This will date me but we used to make float tubes with a truck tube and some sort of webbing. My first tube actually had a wooden seat. I bet Bill Kiene has "experience" with that.

At any rate I am still here after multiple tube designs and wading, quite unsafely, swift rivers to deeply. I suppose I shouldn't be so concerned.

Hairstacker
05-05-2010, 10:27 PM
That is pretty scary if he did it on a forward cast. I don't think I've ever heard of an incident occurring in that manner before. :shock:

pgw
05-06-2010, 09:58 AM
I've fished in float tubes since the old days of the round Mountain Traders (Advertised as the Rolls Royce of Belly Boats) in the 70's, have "maxed" out the weight limits on some of them, and never had a tipping problem when in the the craft... adjusting the seat to lower the center of gravity had a lot to do with that and if someone tips forward in one of the products available today, I tend to think its more of a Darwin issue than a product issue.

Paul

FRSam
05-06-2010, 06:00 PM
I've fished in float tubes since the old days of the round Mountain Traders (Advertised as the Rolls Royce of Belly Boats) in the 70's, have "maxed" out the weight limits on some of them, and never had a tipping problem when in the the craft... adjusting the seat to lower the center of gravity had a lot to do with that and if someone tips forward in one of the products available today, I tend to think its more of a Darwin issue than a product issue.

Paul

I agree Paul...unless it was moving water.

Pete

BillB
05-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm going in! Fish Cat 4 it is. Think I'll whip up a few more bugs and go play with the LMB's. They ought to be ready to go now.

SHigSpeed
05-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Now that you've decided on the FCIV, you should strongly consider shelling out the extra cash for the Deluxe. The inflatable seats make it ride higher and pack smaller. The extra rigidity is helpful if you're a bigger guy as well.

_SHig

BillB
05-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Shoot. I took care of the business this morning. If it does not work out I know what to do, son-in-law, grand son, daughter . . .

Had to pick up some Sneaky Pete bugs. I am ready!

Iao Needle
05-12-2010, 10:10 PM
The less expensive CAT has three foam inserts which consists of 2 for the seat and one for the back. Everytime I finish an outing, I take the foam out and let them dry out. In hindsight, I probably should have bought the inflatable seat.

BillB
05-13-2010, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the drying idea Iao. I didn't consider that thought. To bad Outcast doesn't make an "inflatable pillow" a guy could insert into the boat instead of the foam blocks. In all honesty I felt the inflatable back wouldn't support my back as well. I am 6'2" and about 190 and after a while I can get less than comfortable.

SHigSpeed
05-13-2010, 12:54 PM
The inflatable pillow is exactly what you get for the Deluxe/Super. They'll sell them ala carte for $100-$150 for a pair direct.

It MAY be a good thing to get the inflatable butt pad, and use the foam backrest, though you can adjust the air pressure in the backrest to change the firmness (what's your Fish Number? <lol>). In fact, the backrest on the foam ones are quite floppy, and you may not like it. The angle of the backrest is set by straps midway up, so the foam tends to fold over halfway up. The inflatable ones fix this issue.

_SHig

BillB
05-14-2010, 08:55 AM
SHigSpeed you are a wealth of information! I am sure my "Fish Number" is pretty high! Wish my grab number was that high.

Are these on the Outcast site and do you replace the foam seat parts with the pillows? That sounds like a great idea. I had visualized something like that. I had an idea about the back rest as I once had a canoe seat that operated in a similar fashion. It was much less comfortable than my big leather chair an ottoman!

Thanks for all the great info SHigSpeed, I appreciate it as I am sure others do on this site. I will check on that.

BillB
05-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Took the Fish Cat out for her maiden voyage yesterday. I know why you guys love these tubes so much! The wind was blowing with gust to 30 mph but I was still able to fish. At times all I had to do to reset the bug was lift the rod tip and the wind did the rest. I love my Fish Cat!

This is the first fish over the "gunnels" a dink, but never the less the first!

Thanks for all the info guys!

SHigSpeed
05-28-2010, 04:39 PM
SHigSpeed you are a wealth of information! I am sure my "Fish Number" is pretty high! Wish my grab number was that high.

Are these on the Outcast site and do you replace the foam seat parts with the pillows? That sounds like a great idea. I had visualized something like that. I had an idea about the back rest as I once had a canoe seat that operated in a similar fashion. It was much less comfortable than my big leather chair an ottoman!

Thanks for all the great info SHigSpeed, I appreciate it as I am sure others do on this site. I will check on that.

Sorry, must've missed this...

I think they're on the Outcast catalog .pdf file. Not sure if it's on the site or not. Yeah, the inflatable cushions replace the foam bits. They're made from the same materials and valves as inflatable PFD and they're quite robust.

Glad you got into fish. Seeya on the water some day!

_SHig

Scott V
05-28-2010, 09:13 PM
First fish in your new tube, nice!!!!