PDA

View Full Version : Lost Rod and Reel at Pyramid Lake

Gary T
05-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Fished at Pelican Beach on Thursday April 29th.

After releasing a fish, I recast my two fly indicator rig back out about 40 feet and then set my rod down into my stripping basket.

Reached into my vest to swap my sunglasses and a fish yanked my rod and took off away from shore. Jumped off my ladder but was not fast enough.
This all happened in less than ten seconds.

End result is I lost a Sage 790-4 XP Rod and a Bauer MZ3 Reel.

The leader had a one inch size Green Thingamabobber attached so I suspect that the floating line should be suspended in the water column. I'm hopeful that someone will snag and retrieve this outfit.

I left my contact info with a few guys on the beach and also at Crosby's Lodge. Will gladly offer a reward for the return of my gear.

Please keep your ears open and please contact me if you have any info.

Thanks for your help,
Gary (925) 786-5184

SHigSpeed
05-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Fished at Pelican Beach on Thursday April 29th.

After releasing a fish, I recast my two fly indicator rig back out about 40 feet and then set my rod down into my stripping basket.

Reached into my vest to swap my sunglasses and a fish yanked my rod and took off away from shore. Jumped off my ladder but was not fast enough.
This all happened in less than ten seconds.

End result is I lost a Sage 790-4 XP Rod and a Bauer MZ3 Reel.

The leader had a one inch size Green Thingamabobber attached so I suspect that the floating line should be suspended in the water column. I'm hopeful that someone will snag and retrieve this outfit.

I left my contact info with a few guys on the beach and also at Crosby's Lodge. Will gladly offer a reward for the return of my gear.

Please keep your ears open and please contact me if you have any info.

Thanks for your help,
Gary (925) 786-5184

Oh man that SUCKS! I can't catch a Pyramid fish on an indicator to save my life and you have one take your rod?! I'll keep an eye out for it if I go back...

_SHig

Gary T
05-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Thanks SHig.

I was indicator fishing because it was more productive then stripping buggers at that time.

As I watched my Sage make a fast getaway, I grabbed my other rod that was rigged with a bugger/beetle combo and began stripping line off the reel in attempt to cast and hook the wayward rod.

Within the next 4 frantic casts and fast retrieves trying to hook my lost rod, I hook and release 2 fish. Go figure.

Gary

Corky
05-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Thanks SHig.

I was indicator fishing because it was more productive then stripping buggers at that time.

As I watched my Sage make a fast getaway, I grabbed my other rod that was rigged with a bugger/beetle combo and began stripping line off the reel in attempt to cast and hook the wayward rod.

Within the next 4 frantic casts and fast retrieves trying to hook my lost rod, I hook and release 2 fish. Go figure.

Gary

I plan to go up soon in two weeks, Where at Pelican were you fishing? Exact location would help, IE: Rocks or beach.

I will let you know if I find it, Pelican is my favorite place and I know it well.
Corky

RenoLipRipper
05-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Man that really sucks. Nice rod and reel. If (and a BIG if) I go there I will look out for it.

bigfly
05-07-2010, 12:06 PM
The rule is, never leave a fly in/on the water without holding the rod.
Seen a bunch of rods go this way. I think the fish display the booty at school.
Watched my 8wt jump half the length of my boat one day, caught on the transom and a diving catch (while calculating dive angles and hypothermia) saved the day (lost the fish though). One day I cranked in a spin rod off the bottom at Pyramid.
I'll think good thoughts.

Jim

Gary T
05-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the replies. Exact location that I was fishing on Pelican beach was about 20 to 30 feet south of a small metal drum that is in the water, a few feet off the bank. Walk the bank and you will see the partially submergered drum. If I remember correctly it is on the upper (northern) side of Pelican Beach.