PDA

View Full Version : Redington Predator

cmgfly
05-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to the bass game and was wondering if there are any opinions on the Redington Predator series. I'm thinking about picking up a 6 and an 8 to use in some of the rivers, lakes and ponds near me. I like Redington rods but haven't been able to get my hands on these yet.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

thanks,
Chris

Mrs.Finsallaround
05-05-2010, 10:05 AM
Got one at Kiene's expo LAST year. LOVE it! Going to use it in the Bass N Fly in a few weeks. I use the 8 wt, as we primarily fish for LMB in the delta.

I've used the Sage Largemouth too, and IMHO, the predator works just as well for me.

There's a 3rd company out there that makes a green one too, but I can't remember the name of it off hand. It wasn't bad either...

cmgfly
05-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Thank you Robin,

I've also been very impressed with Redington rods. I use as 10' 8 wt CPS and a 7 wt CPX switch rod. I've only used Redington rods for steelhead so far. For the price, Redington does a very good job, which is why I'm interested in this series for bass.

BTW, what line are you using with the 8 wt for topwater? Does it work well with sinking lines too?

Any line suggestions for the 6 or the 8 would be appreciated.

thanks again

Charlie Gonzales
05-05-2010, 04:00 PM
For top water bass you wont beat the Rio Out Bound Short, its already over lined by two, so for the average rod/fly just go with whats on the box. If your throwing real big stuff or a fast rod then maybe go up by one.

Robin the rod your thinking of is the Ross Worldwide Fly Stick and is available up to a 10wt, great rods for the money.

Mrs.Finsallaround
05-05-2010, 07:12 PM
For top water bass you wont beat the Rio Out Bound Short, its already over lined by two, so for the average rod/fly just go with whats on the box. If your throwing real big stuff or a fast rod then maybe go up by one.

Robin the rod your thinking of is the Ross Worldwide Fly Stick and is available up to a 10wt, great rods for the money.

I KNEW it started with an 'R'! Thanks Charlie...

Um, I use the 10 wt Rio Outbound Short for stripes on my 8 wt TFO CFR. I can cast this for distance much better (75-90'). \\:D/

On the predator, I'm using the Sage Largemouth line (330 gr)... I'm usually utilizing an underhand cast for LMB (25-40'). I can't cast this line for distance to save my a$$. [-(

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-05-2010, 08:32 PM
We have all the Redington 'Predators' in stock.

Very good looking rods too.

We have all the short bass rods instock for spring.....

Ed Wahl
05-05-2010, 08:55 PM
Hey Robin, I picked up an 8wt Predator at the Expo and use it to throw the Sage LMB line. I'm lovin that set up. Very easy on the arm and that line is a dream to tight cast into holes in the trees and tules.
As distance goes you are right, but in my bass ponds you very rarely have a need to go for 70 ft casts. If I'm farther than 50 feet I can always just kick a little closer.

Chris, you can consider this a positive review. These are very good rods, much better than they had just a few years ago.

Ed

cmgfly
05-05-2010, 10:19 PM
thanks all, sounds like a winner.
so, it sounds like the Rio Outbound Short will give a little better distance, but the LMB line is good in close for accuracy (fishing tight to cover) - is that about right?

thanks for all the help

Chris

Hairstacker
05-05-2010, 11:57 PM
Hi Chris, I can't speak to the Predator but, like you, I like Redington rods too . . . in fact, I like 'em a lot. My 9' 7wt. RS3 has been my go-to bass rod for a few years now, and I also have an 8 wt. RS3 that I like a lot. I think Redington's quality-for-the-dollars ratio is as good or better than any others out there.

I've been skeptical about these shorter bass rods but I'm starting to warm up to the idea and have been thinking about the Predator myself. If you get one, please let us know what you think of it. Or even better, include your comments in a report with pictures of some nice bass. :D

Mrs.Finsallaround
05-06-2010, 10:59 AM
thanks all, sounds like a winner.
so, it sounds like the Rio Outbound Short will give a little better distance, but the LMB line is good in close for accuracy (fishing tight to cover) - is that about right?

thanks for all the help

Chris

:thumbsup:Yes, awesome for in close accuracy... I actually do most of my casting "backwards", in that my release is behind me, as Hubby and I are both right-handed, fishing the same bank from the boat. I can get my target most of the time. :-\"

Charlie Gonzales
05-06-2010, 01:18 PM
The only difference between the two lines is really the box they come in. They both have the same taper design and made by the same company(Rio). The reason the the OBS may cast further is the heavier weight but thats going to depend on whos holding the rod, but for the same reason should have just as much accuracy since it will load the road up sooner. Distance really shouldnt be much of a factor as most LMB fishing is short casts tight to cover, in top water striper fishing you have the ability to cast longer distances because of the lack of structure with the potential of multiple blow ups on each retreive.

briansII
05-06-2010, 03:24 PM
I've been fishing a 8wt Predator, off and on, since they first came out. I consider it a fast action rod, with guts down low. I started off with a 8wt bass taper line, but it didn't seem to load the rod well. I recently cast both the Sage LMB, and Rio OB Short 8wt on it. I like both, but for throwing hairbugs to bass, I like the Sage LMB line. I've never tried to get max distance with the Predator and LMB line, but I have made some relatively long casts with it. The Rio OB Short(8 & 9wt)casts long on every rod I've tried it on. No exception with the Predator. If you want a confidence builder line, buy a OBS. :-)

briansII

Hairstacker
05-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Looks like everyone's fishing the 8 wt. Predator versus the 6 wt. one . . . . Are your average bass sporty with the 8 wt. Predator? Does anyone fish the 6 wt. Predator?

I normally use a 9' 7 wt. rod and have found that an assertive 9' 8 wt. rod takes all the fight out of anything but an unusually large bass. . . sure would make the decision easier if they made a 7 wt. Predator. :lol:

Mrs.Finsallaround
05-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Looks like everyone's fishing the 8 wt. Predator versus the 6 wt. one . . . . Are your average bass sporty with the 8 wt. Predator? Does anyone fish the 6 wt. Predator?

I normally use a 9' 7 wt. rod and have found that an assertive 9' 8 wt. rod takes all the fight out of anything but an unusually large bass. . . sure would make the decision easier if they made a 7 wt. Predator. :lol:

Lookin' for 2-10 lb'ers... I'd rather have the 8 wt. Not confident enough to land 'em on a 6 wt.:???:

I've gotten a couple of 3-4 lb'ers in recent weeks, and they gave a pretty good fight, even on the 8 wt.... :nod:

Ed Wahl
05-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Depends on the fish Mike. I once had a real worry about breaking off a fish on 0x tippet, using an 8wt. I pulled hard, it pulled back even harder. I was using the butt of the rod when I finally got his head out.

Toughest little 12inch Smallmouth ever.

I thought David was going to hurt himself laughing so hard.

Ed

David Lee
05-07-2010, 06:53 AM
Depends on the fish Mike. I once had a real worry about breaking off a fish on 0x tippet, using an 8wt. I pulled hard, it pulled back even harder. I was using the butt of the rod when I finally got his head out.

Toughest little 12inch Smallmouth ever.

I thought David was going to hurt himself laughing so hard.

Ed

I remember it well - the Smallie was 10 inches , not 12 .

I thought he was going to pull you out of your sandals ....... hysterical .

D.~

Mrs.Finsallaround
05-07-2010, 08:45 AM
The only difference between the two lines is really the box they come in. They both have the same taper design and made by the same company(Rio). The reason the the OBS may cast further is the heavier weight but thats going to depend on whos holding the rod, but for the same reason should have just as much accuracy since it will load the road up sooner. Distance really shouldnt be much of a factor as most LMB fishing is short casts tight to cover, in top water striper fishing you have the ability to cast longer distances because of the lack of structure with the potential of multiple blow ups on each retreive.

Actually, not entirely true. The Sage LMB only has a 30' head and 50' of running line (330 gr). The OBSF has a 33' head and 67' of running line (315 gr for 8 wt, 425 gr for 10 wt - 100' total). This will affect how it casts, even on the same rod, let alone on two different lengths (7'11" vs. 9').

Although, I will agree it CAN depend on who is holding the rod... Paul can cast both lines farther than I can. However, even on the same rod, I can shoot the OBSF a whole lot farther than the SLMB.

Distance can be a factor if you're in a boat and not driving, having no control of how far you are from the bank. I often need to cast much farther with the SLMB line than normal.

SLOwag
05-07-2010, 04:16 PM
I don't have a dog in this fight but this is too funny to not be quoted ;)

I remember it well - the Smallie was 10 inches , not 12 .

I thought he was going to pull you out of your sandals ....... hysterical .

D.~

Ed Wahl
05-08-2010, 12:10 AM
:D That was a couple of years ago, and as you all know, fish stories get bigger with age. Two more years and it'll be up to 14 inches. :-\"

Ed

Darian
05-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Just an observation from my first experience with both lines. I've cast both during my latest Black Bass trip and found that the OBSF line was too much line for fishing close to cover and was unable to cast sidearm with accuracy. :-| Also, it tended to make the fly splash down hard when close in. My fishing partner switched from the OBSF to the LMB line and increased the number of takes with it. IMHO, the OBS lines are perfect for Stripers. :nod:

I switched from a regular WF line that was being buffeted by the winds and collapsing on almost every cast (an older Sage line) too the LMB. Was able to use the sidearm cast in tight easily. Even overhead in the winds without a problem. KD swears by this line. I'm gonna pick one up as soon as I can. :cool:

KD
05-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Charlie i must correct your statement(if i interpreted it correctly)that "the box they come in is the only difference". That is simply not true and i wouldn't want to mislead anyone. They are 2 completely different lines.

When it comes to Topwater, I do not use the OBS line for MOST of my LmBass fishing. I find it useful in some applications(easy made long casts over large flooded weed flats in low light). However, a solid caster will be able to stretch a Sage LmBass line to the end without much difficulty so that line is still very applicable. This is one of the great attributed to the Sage LmBass line in my view. It will cover varying distances from VERY close in to extended distances all the way to the end(80'). This is common when LmBass fishing the Delta, varying distances, with most presentations in the 20-50ft range. The Sage LmBass lines do this wonderfully.

IMO, the OBS lines would NOT be my first choice for target shooting for LmBass. They are outstanding for throwing long with big bugs for topwater stripers, etc. where blind casting is the name of the game. They are "clunky" in the regards to the fine,accurate,stealthy presentations required most of the time when target shooting Delta LmBass.
Part of the reason i do not prefer these lines is this: Most of your casting distances come into the range where the OBS lines transition to the thin running line. This creates a "heavy","clunky" presentation. Accuracy falls off, line speed goes up, it must to carry it,(not good for throwing into cover!) which often results in a less than desirable presentation.

I think this became very obvious to both Renee and Darian this week. Renee was using an OBS at the start and most of the day. I presented them some of my gear earlier but they wouldn"t bite, but later in the day they switched over, and almost immediately both of them realized they had been working way to hard and their presentations improved.

The Delta is not forgiving when it comes to presentation. Having equipment that is well matched and providing the means to make good presentations out there is often the difference between catching fish or not.

cmgfly
05-08-2010, 10:04 AM
KD,
thanks for that informative post. One question for you- what is the head length on the LMB line and how does it compare to a standard bass taper (uplined by 2)? I can't seem to find the specs on that line.

Chris

Darian
05-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Amen!!!! Don't leave home without one (or more....). :D :D

Hairstacker
05-08-2010, 10:32 AM
I can't speak to these two lines but I do know that for Delta topwater bassing, I would hands-down prefer a line that enables you to cast accurately at 20 - 50 feet over one designed for distance any day. Sometimes you'll shoot for distance when fishing the deep-water edge of a weed bed, for example, but much more often you'll be aiming at small target areas adjacent to cover where accuracy is the name of the game.

Darian
05-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Chris,.... FYI, back on page 2 of this thread, Robin posted the length of the heads and running line on each of the lines discussed.... :thumbsup:

cmgfly
05-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Darian,

thanks for pointing that out. I guess I missed it somehow...