PDA

View Full Version : Why are the called redds?

Scott V
05-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Why are they called redds when they are not red?

FISHEYE
05-04-2010, 09:46 AM
They wanted to use "greens" but then realized that was already taken by golf.

But this is what I found on websters. Etymology: origin unknown

john
05-04-2010, 02:06 PM
The term "redd" came from Scottish immigrants, meaning "to clear". For instance, at dinnertime little Johnny would be instructed to "redd up" the kitchen table. Similarly the fish clear the streambed for the placement of eggs.

Scott V
05-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Thanks John, where did you hear or read that? Are you going back down to La Paz this year?

El Rey
05-04-2010, 03:02 PM
You got it, John.

Redd, Redden: To put in order, clear. (Probably an alteration of "to rid".)

john
05-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Scott: Should have been "Scotty, redd the table". Actually a 4th grade elemetary teacher was the source of the info. He grew up in Ohio in a "clan". Yeah, got really lucky this year and am leaving friday. Not sleeping in the I terminal this year. Met a great guy in Belize '09 March and he's in with me, plus Joan(and Steve) plus Phil and Mike from AK. I think we're in for a real/reel deal. But hey I'd fish with you anywhere/any place----you/wife must have a relative in WI/MN to visit. JOHN

wjorg
05-25-2010, 12:37 AM
Ever see a salmon nest full of hovering eggs?

Scott V
05-25-2010, 07:25 AM
Ever see a salmon nest full of hovering eggs?

Nope, never seen a nest of any fish eggs except on TV.

wjorg
05-25-2010, 09:18 AM
As for the nest....before the eggs have dropped into the gravel...Ive seen a dinner plate size red, flat jello-looking mass if eggs in the depression. Really neat. Once the eggs are in the gravel you dont see that.(hence why people crush them/wash silt from footsteps into them).

When you float down healthy salmon rivers the whole river from shore to shore can be maroon or red, with 1000trout blobs of black interspersed. Especially when the salmon pair up and dig nests, they are congrigated in red groups.