PDA

View Full Version : Late American report

Charlie Gonzales
05-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Had the pleasure of fishing with Bill Barker and his son in law Larry on Thursday. Larry had never really cast a fly rod before so we spent a little while working on the basics, a roll cast and a pick up and lay down; and before long he had his first grab wich quickly came unbuttoned, but we were both pretty happy. On the next run Bill picked up this nice fish that probly pushed 4lbs; very thick bodied and very acrobatic. As soon as it was hooked it was tail over head through out the fight.
http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr262/BigValleyGuide/000_0008.jpg
Soon after this fish the wind came up and made the rest of the day a bit more challenging but we were still able to get Larry his first fish to hand on a fly rod.
http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr262/BigValleyGuide/Larry4-29010.jpg

Thanks for another great day on the water guys!

Jgoding
05-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Nice fish Charlie.

BillB
05-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Hey thanks again Charlie, I had a great time! I think Larry is hooked, pun intended. Hasn't stopped talking about the trip since we left. He is looking for all the books and literature on fly fishing he lay is hands on. Starting to shop for a little gear up to and including a Fish Cat!

For those wanting a good float you won't find more friendly, patient and harder working guy than Charlie. Thanks!

Bill

Charlie Gonzales
05-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Good to hear he has the bug. Hopefuly you can get to the park and keep working on his casting.

If anyone is interested, I will continue to run my $250 special for the month of May swining for half pounders.

EricO
05-04-2010, 09:56 AM
The tail on that steelhead has got to be the largest I have ever seen
in relation to the acutal size of the fish. Looks like it's 12" !!! I bet he kicked
some serious "tail" ;-) Sorry, couldn't resist.

Nice fish!

EO

BillB
05-04-2010, 12:15 PM
That's what I thought(!), and he did kick some "tail". I had some "serious" fore arm burn after that! That fish was hot! More beautiful in person than the photo.