PDA

View Full Version : Float Tube Question????

RenoLipRipper
04-28-2010, 04:47 PM
Went to Frenchman's yesterday. Filled up my tube and then started putting my snacks in the side pouchs and found that my tube in the pouch area had been munched on by a mouse. There was no food in it. Found the canvas with about a 9" X 9" hole. Didn't go through the bladder. Found the head of the mouse in a pile of material. Wife said it was most likely making a nest.

My question? I used it at Frenchman's yesterday, no problem except a bit of a buldge were the mouse had eaten away the canvas. Do you think it is OK to continue with the tube is it's current state? Must say it bugged me a bit. Wife thinks maybe we can get a large patch, but in the past after speaking to the mfg. they said they didn't have a patch for a small hole. So don't think that will work. Would love to get a new tube, but the $$. It is a Outcast Super Fat Cat. Luckily I have a second one. But my wife usually uses it, she said that since I am in the water more than she, I should use hers.

Darian
04-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Seems to me like there's a solution to the patch problem. How about using rip-stop nylon repair tape (used in tent, sleeping bag, pack bag repair) for a patch :?: Apply on the inside and outside for strength.... :| Of course, your wife's tube is always an alternative.... :nod:

SHigSpeed
04-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Went to Frenchman's yesterday. Filled up my tube and then started putting my snacks in the side pouchs and found that my tube in the pouch area had been munched on by a mouse. There was no food in it. Found the canvas with about a 9" X 9" hole. Didn't go through the bladder. Found the head of the mouse in a pile of material. Wife said it was most likely making a nest.

My question? I used it at Frenchman's yesterday, no problem except a bit of a buldge were the mouse had eaten away the canvas. Do you think it is OK to continue with the tube is it's current state? Must say it bugged me a bit. Wife thinks maybe we can get a large patch, but in the past after speaking to the mfg. they said they didn't have a patch for a small hole. So don't think that will work. Would love to get a new tube, but the $$. It is a Outcast Super Fat Cat. Luckily I have a second one. But my wife usually uses it, she said that since I am in the water more than she, I should use hers.

You actually found the mouse's head?!

I'd say fix it. Not too tough. Something as simple as an iron-on patch would be better than nothing - or sewing in a panel isn't too tough either. Any upholstery shop can do this. Hell, I can fix it. Is it a Red SFC? If so, I'll give you $50 for it since it's damaged...

At the least, use a flame to weld the raw edges of the nylon so it won't unravel further and don't pump the bladder to "ping-pressure".

_SHig

huntindog
04-28-2010, 09:44 PM
duct tape!

RenoLipRipper
04-29-2010, 09:16 AM
No it is not red. Green. Thanks for the info..

Ralph
04-29-2010, 09:26 AM
Make the patch as suggested PLUS put duct tape over the entire surface of the bladder that will be in contact with the repair area. Unless it is protected, the stitching and rough edges of the (melted) nylon will chafe and ultimately wear into the bladder. I sewed some Velcro pads on the outside of an Outcast and over time both bladders had to be patched under the stitching.

Use the mouse head for bait.

Mumbles
04-29-2010, 09:47 AM
I had a friend rip a seam. He sewed the seam and used a fabric glue for reinforcement. He put the duct tape beneath this seam repair similar to how Ralph recommended.

Another friend had a tear in the fabric (not near a seam). He put a piece of duct tape inside and another outside.

Why not let your wife keep hers, you put a piece of duct tape to protect the bladder, a piece inside and a piece outside and call it good...with character?

RenoLipRipper
04-29-2010, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the advice.

Her tube is actually mine as she has always used my second one when we were dating, but now it is ours, after getting married.

Fish on!!!