PDA

View Full Version : Lower Yuba update

rjt
04-26-2010, 07:09 PM
I'm new to this forum, a new fly fisherman and a big fan of Kiene's. I've been at this for about two month months now and have had some success with dry flies but today I caught my first fish nymphing (copper john). I was so excited as I began my trek back to the car I was not as alert as I should have been. In addition to my first Yuba bow nymphing I also had my first ever rattlesnake encounter! Scared the crap out me. Not sure how it missed me because it was less than a foot off of the trail and about 6" in front of me. I heard it and I guess I jumped forward over it. I looked back it it was right behind me. I also saw a dead one as i walked out on the gravel path just below the highway 20 bridge. I thought I'd make this post just to let everyone know their know there now out there. Be careful, Gran.

DFrink
04-26-2010, 07:18 PM
rjt,

Welcome to the fun! I remember my first fish on the Yuba, almost 4 years ago now. It took me some time to get things down (I'm still working on it) but I haven't even thought about picking up a spinning rod in a long time. This board has been a huge help, if you reach out you will get the answer's you are looking for from many veteran angler's. By the way rattlesnakes are a part of the game that I don't look forward to but somehow run into a couple every summer. I have to remind myself to walk slowly and keep on the look out.

Dan

rjt
04-26-2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks Dan. You're right in that I've learned so much from this forum. great resource. Good advice, I'll definitely slow down and pay better attention going forward. Question, is there something you can wear below the waders that will protect from a snakebite? I'm guessing my feet are fine with my boots but don't know about the shins. thanks again, Gran.

DFrink
04-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Not that I know of. I was bitten by a rattler when I was a kid, needless to say I hate snakes. I came up on one on the MF of the American last summer just like you described, if anyone was within a few miles they probably heard me scream:oops:. Some guys carry a wading stick and knock the rocks around in front of them as they go. I generally just try to keep an eye out.

joshfish
04-26-2010, 08:36 PM
knock on wood all the years i been fishing and camping ive yet to run into a rattlesnake. im sure ive walked by many just never seen one or heard one.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-26-2010, 09:36 PM
With the warm sunny days those snakes love to get out and get warmed up.

Rockman
04-27-2010, 07:52 AM
About 10 years ago, I was nymphing in the middle of a big flat area on the lower Yuba, just as I turned to make a cast up stream. something caught my eye about 20' up. As it got a few feet closer I realized it was a rattlesnake. I used my flyrod to push it out of the way, if I did not do that, it would have washed right into my leg. Doubt it would have been cabable of doing anything, the water was so cold, he was alive, but very sluggish, a strange but true encounter.
Its seems I have many strange encounters on the Yuba, last time was the falling boulders from a bad blast at the quarry. :paranoid:
But my quest for fish keeps me coming back. I'm a glutton for punishment.