PDA

View Full Version : battle creek

thepeacockspecial
04-26-2010, 04:43 PM
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about public access points on the battle creek. I have heard there are points where you can park up by the 36, but I have never been there so I have no idea lol. I know the fly shop has a private section, but I am planning a trip there this weekend, and I cant afford the 140 bucks at the moment to fish in their private stream. Any info would be nice. I am thinking about stopping by the fly shop too, but I have a limited amount of time that day cause my gf will be at school for a festival, and you can somewhat say i am "whooped" lol. ;/.

Dustin Revel
04-26-2010, 06:09 PM
i'm not familiar with the upper portions of battle creek but you can expect high flows, slippery rocks, and feisty little trout.
good luck,
Dustin

jhaquett
04-26-2010, 07:37 PM
If you don't have Google Earth, you should, so do yourself a favor and get it. Google Earth coordinates for the access point are 40 20.51N, 121 38.26W.

It is approx. 2.5 miles East of the Hwy. 172 junction, so if you are coming from the East you have gone too far if you reach this.

The access point is an area off 36 with two pullouts, one on each side of the road. There is a very well maintained road that you must walk down to access the creek.

Flows are high right now at almost 600 cfs. Good luck.

thepeacockspecial
04-26-2010, 07:53 PM
thanks for the info. i am guessing there are no access points between coleman and the ranch? well, I might have to wait to check it out on a full day to explore it. spent the opener at deer creek and didnt do to well. and also , thanks for the info on the flows. I would have thought 600 was just fine, but since you mentioned it was high, i take your word for it since i've never been there. will probably hit up the sundial bridge on sunday. and do some crappie/carp action friday evening at black butte lake.

Where did everyone else go for the opener?

joshfish
04-26-2010, 08:20 PM
if you drive past coleman fish hatchery you can access the creek but i dont know if its open to fish there. also they raised the flows on the lower sac so you may want to check with the flyshop about wade access at sundial bridge. as for the opener i skipped fishing and headed to the local bmx track to watch the first anual HELL TRACK race. lots of people, good giveaways, and some great racing.

Notch
04-27-2010, 02:28 PM
What section of Deer did you fish?

I would wait to fish Battle until the flows are down below 200 cfs. Check out the yellow gate off Hwy. 36, ~10 miles west of Mineral.

thepeacockspecial
04-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Notch: Thanks for the heads up on 200 cfs.

I started the morning at the (upper part I think) in that big field by the 32/36/89 junction. worked about 1/4 mile stretch there for a few hours, then started working my way down towards the red bridge. stopped by every stretch i saw that I felt was not too fast and too rough. Saw major caddis hatches on the surface at each stop, but no rises. Talked to some people there too and no one had anything going that day.