PDA

View Full Version : Lake Solano & Putah Creek

Mike O
04-26-2010, 12:35 AM
The Cub Scout Fishing Derby went off without a hitch, or a fish. The kids had fun, and that is all that matters. It was a nice day to be out there with the kids.

After the Derby was over, my son and I went further up the creek. I got out the fly rod and we tried nymphing the area below the dam below the bridge. Nothing really happening there either, but he got to throw the rod a little, and we had a good time just hanging out together.

Thanks for all your suggestions and support, I will find somewhere with fish next year...oh yes, I will find somewhere better.

troutbm
04-28-2010, 07:16 PM
It isn't fishing well. Expect things to get worse before they get better on putah creek. The reg. change is going to take time to benefit the creek. This is a perfect example of a mismanaged river.

michaeln
04-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Keep in mind the NZMS infestation in Putah and Solano Lake and clean all your gear thoroughly.

Mike O
04-29-2010, 03:38 PM
I think the lack of planting is going to have a detrimental effect, as some of the people I saw up by the bridge were not following the rules. They didn't catch anything.

As far as NZMS, I didn't wade. My line and terminal tackle are the only things which touched the water.

troutbm
04-29-2010, 07:00 PM
Actually the fact is that the planting of trout has a detrimental effect on a river. Planting is gone and it is not coming back. If it wasn't for planting we wouldn't even have NZMS ! Oh and then theres whirling disease. Catching planted trout means nothing. Do you see DFG planting deer ? I think not. So why shouldn't rainbow trout be treated the same way ? Planting is just something DFG has done over the years to passify the masses. Yes i'm ranting !

Mike O
04-29-2010, 09:05 PM
Uh...planting causes NZMS??? Not.

Wading causes NZMS. Who wades Putah?? US!

Whirling disease??? Caused by hatchery trout. Spread by wading. But not in Putah.

Didymo? ( I know, you didn't mention that one)?? Again, spread by wading. Again, not in Putah.

Wanna stop the spread of invasives, and help the fish stocks? Outlaw wading and stocking. Gives the fish somewhere to hide, and stops the spread. Anything else is hypocrasy [sp?]

I wasn't saying to start planting. I was saying that w/o planting, the people fishing Lake Solano and catching fish, and those who take advantage of the lack of enforcement, and keeping fish. And those at the campground, behind bushes, and keeping fish, are going to take care of all the fish.

Get your facts straight, then rant at someone else. I follow the law. I also started this post about taking a bunch of kids fishing. That was the point.

troutbm
05-01-2010, 07:25 PM
NZMS was brought to us via a shipment of brown trout eggs from new zealand. So yes planting of trout is how they got here. One invasive species led to another.

SHigSpeed
05-01-2010, 10:00 PM
NZMS was brought to us via a shipment of brown trout eggs from new zealand. So yes planting of trout is how they got here. One invasive species led to another.

Really? That's nuts that we needed to import brown trout from New Zealand! What year did this occur? I'm sure that the US had browns before En Zed no? Must be for a particularly desirable strain...

_SHig

Salvage
05-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Time will tell how the Putah Creek's fishery will develop in the future. But it has the potential for a decent wild trout fishery. Poaching will always be a potential when most anglers are excluded from desirable fishing waters. Visible law enforcement and peer-pressure helps minimize illegal take but it is impossible to eliminate from waters with easy access and close proximity to urban populations.
Cheers,
Salvage

Mike O
05-01-2010, 11:50 PM

but not how they got to Putah...which was the original post, which led to the misinformed rant. They got to Putah the same way they got to other streams after that plant of Browns. On fishing gear.

Ban wading, or stop being hypocritical, that is what I am saying.