PDA

View Full Version : Current Lake Davis Conditions

FRSam
04-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Well I just got back from Lake Davis and it's looking GREAT - finally. What a difference a week makes. I was out last Saturday and except for a ribbon of water around the east side it was frozen all the way across. Not anymore....

The West Side Road is still not open...
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/FeatherRiverSam/Fishing/DSC00210.jpg

This was taken last week 4-17-2010
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/FeatherRiverSam/Fishing/DSC00198.jpg

One week later 4-25-2010
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/FeatherRiverSam/Fishing/DSC00211.jpg

This is the entrance to Honker...
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/FeatherRiverSam/Fishing/DSC00212.jpg

And this is some guy who thought he'd give Honker a try...at least he wasn't pulling a boat...
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/FeatherRiverSam/Fishing/DSC00214.jpg

Snow Creek had quite a few fish in it which is good news until the poachers show up...
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/FeatherRiverSam/Fishing/DSC00217.jpg

And this is a picture of the Honker Boat Ramp...
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/FeatherRiverSam/Fishing/DSC00222.jpg

The south end still has a bit of ice but it's on its way out...
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/FeatherRiverSam/Fishing/DSC00228.jpg

And as LT pointed out the middle and north end is completely free of ice...
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/FeatherRiverSam/Fishing/DSC00224.jpg

The Mallard Ramp is open - notice the water level - we still could use more water...
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/FeatherRiverSam/Fishing/DSC00229.jpg

People were out but not in big numbers. The usual spots Grasshopper, Mallard, Coots and coves north. I didn't wet a line - I was just there to check things out and run the dog. I did see one guy out in a tube at Mallard and there were no boats in the water but you could easily get a pram in at Mallard if you so desired.

Again as LT mentioned the fish were in the shallow water so a pram / tube isn't really necessary. This should be a very good year!!!

Pete

Reno Flytyer
04-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Terrific photos and comments Pete! Thank you for taking the time to tease us with the infomation.
Mike

michaeln
04-25-2010, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the report! When I was there last week on the 18th and 19th the entrances to all the campgrounds were still snowed in... did you notice if they are open (grizzly, grasshopper and lightning tree)? I am thinking about going up again in a week or so, but will be camping.

I guess I could stay at the Grizzly Store campground, it was open when I was there.

SHigSpeed
04-25-2010, 06:56 PM
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/FeatherRiverSam/Fishing/DSC00229.jpg
Pete

Thanks for the recce! I just may have to play hooky (pun intended) again next week to get out there - maybe Friday. Only have FWD and a LOW car though, so where to go?

Might snow again mid week and screw things up again...

BTW, what's with the busted tip on the dash? Good story there? :)

_SHig

Troutstalker55B
04-25-2010, 07:05 PM
Hey Pete, Great report! Great photos too, I was up there early this morning and saw that car at Honker! That does not look good at all - Someone has major problems. Saw fish Jumping at grasshopper and some risers off Mallard. I did not fish as well but I will in the next few days. Just gonna have to work around this storm thats going to bring snow.

Safe travels to the bay,

Jon.

FRSam
04-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Hey Mike...yeah you're going to have to get up here - heck you're only a stone throws away. That reel of yours could probably use a good work out after playing with those sleepy cutt's over at Pyramid.

michaeln the campgrounds were still closed but it shouldn't be too much longer before they're open - a great deal probably depends on how much snow we get out of this next system.

Good eye SHig...I noticed that tip after I posted the pic and was wondering if anyone would notice it. That was a water slap after stalking and missing a nice fish over at Freedman last fall. I keep it on the dash as a reminder - it's the second tip I've gone through.

Jon sorry I missed you. I talked to some guys at Honker who said the guy in the stuck rig had driven all the way up from San Luis Obispo yesterday - why he tried to get into Honker I've got no idea. I didn't see any fish come up when I got there around noon but I did see them cruising the shore line in those areas.

Last year Honker was open and we were out on the lake with the boats by the 13th of April. Even Boat Camp Five was open over on the west side. I think we can all live with the delay particularly if it means more WATER.

Looking forward to seeing you all out there this year,

Pete

OceanSunfish
04-25-2010, 10:21 PM
There is no excuse for the water folks to pass water thru Davis Lake this year, period!

It appears that things are up to about 3 weeks behind typical schedule up that way and I can only hope that by Memorial Day, that lake is rising!

The fishing will be good..... So don't let the low water be discouraging.

I'm just sick and tired of all the BS and greed with regards to water, et. al.

Thanks again for the pics and narative. The views bring back memories of such good times up that way..... It's a special place.

michaeln
04-26-2010, 04:09 AM
I see what the problem is with the water level. This picture is causing all the water to drain out to the right!

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/FeatherRiverSam/Fishing/DSC00224.jpg

I fixed it, now the water level should stabilize.

http://michaelnel.smugmug.com/Other/Michaels-Junkbox/davisnotilt/848195064_gvFWG-O.jpg

I just hope I caught it in time!

jayclarkflyfishing
04-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Pete-
Was the guy at honker (in your pic) fishing?If he was he is fishing closed waters and should be turned into DFG.Tired of the f#@*ing poachers!

Nice pics of that awesome lake!By the way I wouldn't attempt to launch at Mallard at these water levels.It is difficult to launch my small boat there at these levels let alone a boat of any real size.

See you on the water reel soon Pete!

Jay

michaeln
04-26-2010, 02:48 PM
Pete-
Was the guy at honker (in your pic) fishing?If he was he is fishing closed water

Sorry, I don't understand. Looks to me like he is just fishing from shore on Lake Davis, how is that "closed waters"?

FRSam
04-26-2010, 02:54 PM
Say michaeln while you're fixing things in Photo Shop could you please seal up the dam so we don't lose any more water out of the lake. ;-)

"Was the guy at honker (in your pic) fishing?If he was he is fishing closed waters and should be turned into DFG.Tired of the f#@*ing poachers!"

Yeah Jay he was "trying" to fly-fish - I should have said something, usually I do but this time I let it go. I'll stop twice at the next stop sign....

"Nice pics of that awesome lake!By the way I wouldn't attempt to launch at Mallard at these water levels.It is difficult to launch my small boat there at these levels let alone a boat of any real size."

I definitely wouldn't try to launch any boat of size there, certainly not my Whaler, but I'd be okay with my 10' pram off the trailer - but as we've pointed out why bother - the fish are in the shallows.

I'll keep an eye out for you Jay - I think we're all going to have a stellar year here at Davis.

Pete

jayclarkflyfishing
04-26-2010, 06:46 PM
Sorry, I don't understand. Looks to me like he is just fishing from shore on Lake Davis, how is that "closed waters"?

There are two areas on the lake that are closed to fishing,one is Honker cove to the buoys and the other is marked by the buoys in front of the dam.Hope that clears up any confusion.

This will be a stellar year at Davis!

Jay

michaeln
04-26-2010, 07:15 PM
There are two areas on the lake that are closed to fishing,one is Honker cove to the buoys and the other is marked by the buoys in front of the dam.Hope that clears up any confusion.

It sure does, thanks. When I was there on my first ever trip to Davis last week I didn't get out to Honker cove so didn't see the bouys or any signs.

Thanks!

Troutstalker55B
04-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Just a quick update, I fished the lake today for the first time, C&R 2 fish on an Int' line with a glimmer root beer wiggle tail. Big wind late in the day. Honker is plowed as of today to the bottom bathrooms, It could be 10 days before the ramp is open. Fish are podding up in coves that have feeder creeks pumping water into them.

for a more detailed report and pics, please go to my blog link below and give it a click.

Michaeln,
Honker cove is closed to fishing from the mouth of the creek to the bouys. There is a sign down on the top platform of the boat ramp.

Jon.

FRSam
04-27-2010, 09:41 AM
Good stuff Jon...glad to hear you got out to wet a line and into some fish. I put off my trip due to the weather. So I'm just sitting in the cabin here throwing one log after another into the fire. Looks like we're going to get some more snow...at this rate we may just go from winter right into summer.

But things are greening up and the wild flowers, as you pointed out, are beginning to show. I can hardly wait for those t-shirt days out on the lake looking for those surface wakes headed straight for those helpless damsels and my FLY. I can almost hear Madi barking "Trout On" in the background.

Meanwhile I'll throw another log on the fire and tie some more flies...

Pete

Jay I didn't mean to flippant with my remark about the guy fishing Honker - I just wasn't in the mood to get into a squabble, I've had my share of those, with some nitwit who didn't know what the hell he was doing.

jayclarkflyfishing
04-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Pete
I took no offense to your remark.

Jay

FRSam
04-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Hey Jon I see you're on line...I thought you'd be out plowing...can you believe this weather!!! We've got about 10 to 12 inches down here at 4300'

Pete

michaeln
04-28-2010, 12:52 PM
Wow... very pretty and mild day here in SF. At least this weather is headed for you guys!

Troutstalker55B
04-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Pete, 7 inches and really coming down! I took the Plow and chains off the quad last week and there is no way in hell I'm plowing again this year, 7 months is long enough! If anything I'll fire up the Honda 1130HP snow blower.

Jon.

michaeln
04-28-2010, 02:00 PM
If anything I'll fire up the Honda 1130HP snow blower.

1130 HP? :eek: You should be able to blow the snow all the way to L.A. with that puppy!

I've been going through my camping gear today in prep for next Wed/Thu/Fri's trip. I hope I don't have to camp in the snow!

Troutstalker55B
04-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Oops, Slight typo. 11 horsepower - The machine is not happy unless the entire chute is full and just barking snow 24/7. It throws the snow 50-70 feet. Where you camping at? Might have to stop by and introduce myself and talk about this jem of a lake. Bring lots of wood and burn it up!

Jon.

michaeln
04-28-2010, 03:16 PM
A friend and I will have a couple tents set up at the Grizzly Store's campground. I got an RV site with electricity so I can recharge my trolling motor battery. So look for a green Spring Creek Pram on top of a red Honda Civic and a blue Scadden Outlaw Escape and a couple of disreputable looking characters.

OceanSunfish
04-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Hey Jon I see you're on line...I thought you'd be out plowing...can you believe this weather!!! We've got about 10 to 12 inches down here at 4300'

Pete

I love it! Too bad you're downstream of the lake! <grin>

Sorry to be happy at your expense but I want to see lots and lots of water in them thar hills! I'm tired of all this drought non sense which we all know is propaganda by the Guvinator and his water grabber backers...

Just for the aesthetics, I want to see that lake full to the brim once again.

FRSam
04-29-2010, 10:53 AM
I love it! Too bad you're downstream of the lake! <grin>

Sorry to be happy at your expense but I want to see lots and lots of water in them thar hills! I'm tired of all this drought non sense which we all know is propaganda by the Guvinator and his water grabber backers...

Just for the aesthetics, I want to see that lake full to the brim once again.

Water is water and I don't care what form it takes it's still water. If I have to shovel / plow snow through May I'll be one very happy camper. And I couldn't agree more nothing would make me happier than to see that lake filled to the brim!!!

A friend and I will have a couple tents set up at the Grizzly Store's campground. I got an RV site with electricity so I can recharge my trolling motor battery. So look for a green Spring Creek Pram on top of a red Honda Civic and a blue Scadden Outlaw Escape and a couple of disreputable looking characters.

I think you'll be fine over there at the grizzly store campground. We've got sunshine right now and the seven day forecast is clear of any snow / rain. How do you like your Spring Creek pram? I've got the 10' Hopper set up with a trolling motor and it's been great. But I've got to admit there were days on the bigger waters I was happy to get in without having to swim for it...

Pete, 7 inches and really coming down! I took the Plow and chains off the quad last week and there is no way in hell I'm plowing again this year, 7 months is long enough! If anything I'll fire up the Honda 1130HP snow blower.

Jon.

Jon I feel your pain...I just put my snow blower away in the shed and pulled out the tractor mower to start working on the lawn.

Pete

michaeln
04-29-2010, 03:32 PM
How do you like your Spring Creek pram? I've got the 10' Hopper set up with a trolling motor and it's been great.

Mine is the 8 foot Hopper II. It's loaded with trolling motor, composite oars, anchor & pocket pullers front & rear, fishfinder, etc.. really nice pram. I like it a lot. Wish I could keep it. Unfortunately, where I live in SF I have to store it inside my flat in the hallway. I could live with that, but what I can't live with is humping it up and down the stairs by myself. I have even rigged up a block & tackle arrangement with 100' of line and a big carpet remnant to slide it on the stairs on, but it's really too much of a PITA.

So, I am selling it. It's been on consignment at Vaughn's in Burney for several months, but have had no luck selling it (it's not on display or anything, so someone would have to know it's there to even express interest in it). My plan is to drive from SF to Burney real early Wednesday, pick the pram and stuff up from Steve right after he opens, then boogie on down to Lake Davis. Gonna be a lot of driving, but I have to get the pram back to SF if I am to have any hope of selling it (and I have to, because I have been laid off).

I have replaced it with a 10 1/2 foot NFO Outlaw Rampage which is gonna be an oars & fins boat for me. But it only weighs about 40lbs and fits into a rolling duffel that goes in my Honda Civic's trunk with lots of room to spare.

I'd rather keep the pram, but my storage situation means I have to sell it. I will use it this one last time next week at Davis, then I start a campaign to sell it.

FRSam
04-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Mine is the 8 foot Hopper II. It's loaded with trolling motor, composite oars, anchor & pocket pullers front & rear, fishfinder, etc.. really nice pram. I like it a lot. Wish I could keep it. Unfortunately, where I live in SF I have to store it inside my flat in the hallway. I could live with that, but what I can't live with is humping it up and down the stairs by myself. I have even rigged up a block & tackle arrangement with 100' of line and a big carpet remnant to slide it on the stairs on, but it's really too much of a PITA.

So, I am selling it. It's been on consignment at Vaughn's in Burney for several months, but have had no luck selling it (it's not on display or anything, so someone would have to know it's there to even express interest in it). My plan is to drive from SF to Burney real early Wednesday, pick the pram and stuff up from Steve right after he opens, then boogie on down to Lake Davis. Gonna be a lot of driving, but I have to get the pram back to SF if I am to have any hope of selling it (and I have to, because I have been laid off).

I have replaced it with a 10 1/2 foot NFO Outlaw Rampage which is gonna be an oars & fins boat for me. But it only weighs about 40lbs and fits into a rolling duffel that goes in my Honda Civic's trunk with lots of room to spare.

I'd rather keep the pram, but my storage situation means I have to sell it. I will use it this one last time next week at Davis, then I start a campaign to sell it.

I'm sorry now I remember you posting about your situation with the pram. That's tough but I understand completely. I can't image hauling it up and down those stairs even with the pulley system. By the time you're ready to leave you're completely worn out. I would think the resale should be pretty good but then again with the economy I guess a lot of people are still trying to cut back - I know I am.

I hope you hit it just right - it sure sounds like you might. If you should hook up with Jon he knows that lake like the back of his hand - I'm sure he'll have some good information for you.

Pete

betty
04-29-2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the great pics, Pete. Looks great. Won't be long before I'm up there. Hope to see you on the water.

Betty

FRSam
04-30-2010, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the great pics, Pete. Looks great. Won't be long before I'm up there. Hope to see you on the water.

Betty

Hi Betty....nice hearing from you. Well buckle up it looks like we're headed for a very good year up here. I understand Crowley is ice free at the moment and some decent fish are being taken on what else but midges...

Look forward to seeing you on the lake,

Pete

jayclarkflyfishing
05-01-2010, 07:57 AM
The ramp at Honker is in which makes the whole lake accessible to boaters.The season is starting out in a great way!Come on up and enjoy the world class fishery that is Lake Davis!!

Jay

michaeln
05-01-2010, 08:05 AM
I'll be there Wednesday.

michaeln
05-04-2010, 05:27 AM
Looks like it is going to be blowing pretty good on Wednesday, but Thu/Fri/Sat report looks good. I won't get to Davis until the afternoon... I have to drive from SF to Burney to pick up my pram, then Burney to Davis.

Lotta driving in one day, by the time I get to Davis and set up camp I'll likely be ready for a nap. Maybe I can get out there in the late afternoon or evening if the wind dies down (but it's not forecasted to).