PDA

View Full Version : Stomach contents

Dustin Revel
04-24-2010, 02:03 PM
I've getting into gear fishing off the jetty up here and found this on youtube. its pretty amazing what a cabezon can fit in its stomach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZR2ylDw8N0&feature=related

Larry S
04-24-2010, 04:16 PM
Dustin:
Some years back, there was an article in "Calif FlyFishing" magazine about jetty
fishing in the Eureka area. Might be worth trying a search of the archives.
Re stomach contents - our SoCal corbina would seem to be feeding on much the same
as the perch and spotfin croakers; however stomach contents reveal the corbina to
be a most interesting feeder. Lacking the crushing tools of the perch and
spotfin, the corbina is capable of "sucking" out the meaty parts of sand crabs
and bean clams.
Best of luck in your studies and fishing.
Larry S

SHigSpeed
04-24-2010, 05:50 PM
What would've been a cool extension of that video would've been checking the stomach contents of that little ling (or whatever it was). Wonder if it had any cabezon in it? :)

_SHig

Dustin Revel
04-24-2010, 09:32 PM
Thanks larry I see if i can find that article. I was thinking about trying it when the bite picks up and the ocean calms down. 15 foot swells today!

Shig,
thats actually a monkey faced eel... i'm wondering if those guys ate it too?

lee s.
04-25-2010, 09:24 PM
Dustin,
Looks like you have a grand opportunity to add some salt to your FF repertoire. Mike and Scott at the Eureka FS can help you a lot.
This was Susan's first SP on fly from the baech right across from the pulp mill.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/leesoares/IMG_0776_2.jpg

There are places inside the bay too where SP can be had, as well as halibut and other SW stuff. ;-)
.....lee s.

Dustin Revel
04-25-2010, 09:46 PM
thanks guys right now i'm having a blast gear fishing in the salt! those cabezon sure are tastey! once the fishing starts to turn on and the ocean calms i might start fly fishing a little more but i'm enjoying my time with conventional gear.. its nice to set down the fly rod every now and then.