PDA

View Full Version : Hi from St john

Rick J
04-24-2010, 05:48 AM
Hi all - hailing from St John - I am writing from the deck of the house we are renting for 2 weeks - weather has been kinda sucky - lots of rain but we are managing - no rods came along on the trip but have been doing some snorkeling and a kayak trip - may try and fit in a dive but have dove here before so may just relax. We will likely rent a zodiak for a day and go explore the many bays

http://www.caribbeanvillas-stjohn.com/Elysium/elysium.html

Bruce Slightom
04-24-2010, 07:12 AM
Rick I am so sorry that the weather is not cooperating. Does more time on the deck take it toll on the gin and tequila bottles?

jbird
04-24-2010, 07:24 AM
I was in st john exactly 20 yrs ago to the day. Gets tough to remember that far back but I do remember it was really beautiful. I also recall the "hairy" driving situation. only because the rental cars had steering wheel on the right side, but you also drove on the right side, like here. A VERY hard scenario to get used to.

The old sugar mill is an interesting place. All the buildings were made from block carved from coral heads.

Trunk bay is a very nice beach with an underwater snorkling trail. There are some great secluded beaches with good snorkling but this is where my memory fades.

Hope the weather improves for you. When the sun pops out behind the clouds, it hits you like a red hot lazer, so be prepared ;-)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Looks beautiful Rick

I think you are really racking up points with the wife on this one.

Rick J
04-24-2010, 08:30 AM
This is our 3rd trip to the island - last one was 10 years ago and things are alot more crowded but still pretty nice place. The driving does take getting used too - actually you drive on the left and the wheel is on the left!

Bruce - we have been putting a dent into the rum supply - they also have some pretty good local beer!!

We just had a a major flying ant hatch and the pool is covered with bugs!! Nothing rising to them them though!!

jbird
04-24-2010, 05:18 PM
This is our 3rd trip to the island - last one was 10 years ago and things are alot more crowded but still pretty nice place. The driving does take getting used too - actually you drive on the left and the wheel is on the left!

Bruce - we have been putting a dent into the rum supply - they also have some pretty good local beer!!

We just had a a major flying ant hatch and the pool is covered with bugs!! Nothing rising to them them though!!

Thats right Rick. I had it backwards...left and left, not right and right. Either way, its just wrong, lol.