PDA

View Full Version : Martha's Vineyard Trout?

BobVP
04-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Knowing full well the incredible wealth of information you all hold I thought it best to ask here first..... My sweetheart is taking me to Martha's Vineyard (she has old buddies there) for the last week of June and the first week of July. What little travel I have done in the east coast area was many, many years ago and did not include fishing. I know that MV is a great place to saltwater fish and I may try to get a little in but I would like to find out if there is any trout fishing on the island.
I have sent off a couple of requests to tackle shops there and have looked on the F&G pages. I am hoping someone here has actually been there and one that.....
Thanks in advance,
Robert

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-24-2010, 08:33 AM
I think it is mostly a great place to catch Stripers in the summer.

Bring any #7,8, 9 or even 10 weight fly rods you have and some streamers.

BIGBROWN
04-24-2010, 01:36 PM
I spent many a summer as a child on the Vineyard, and as Bill has correctly pointed out there are no trout on the island. The island, is 311 feet above sea level, and does not have the habitat to support a trout population. Bring a 9 or ten weight, and you will be in striper heaven..... VERY JEALOUS!

Larry S
04-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Robert:
Before you and your sweetie head off to the Vineyard, you should read some of the
late Philip Craig's Vineyard Mystery series. These 20+ books all feature Vineyard
resident J.W.Jackson and his adventures. He fishes for blues with conventional gear,
but, you will learn a lot about the island. Most of the books have a island map
near the front. Easy and great reading.
Larry S

LNelson
04-24-2010, 03:04 PM
My closest friend is a lobsterman in Menemsha and I used to live out there as well. There are a couple public ponds that they dump brookies in and a couple private ponds that you need to know the bizillionaire in order to get on them. I used to fish a tiny stream in Tisbury that that held little 6 inch brookies, but again on private land. Fish for the Stripers! There will be fish all over the place at that time. Coop's bait shop in Edgartown is the clearing house on what is happening on the Island.

loganmike
04-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Terry with Riptide Charters is the man to get in touch with. I travel there and to the Cape every year for a week for the last 28 years. I will be there the week before you, last year, 36 inch stripe on floating line and streamer in blue water.

UNBELIEVEABLE!

BobVP
04-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Thanks Folks.....Looks like I am heading back to striper fishing, just like when I was a kid on Tomales Bay.....only this time with a fly rod, in the "other ocean", in summer and not because my mom wants some fish for dinner!

One more question for those of you that have been there: Waders or not? (I will not be able to afford even the most affordable boat trip this time around) My only memory of being in the ocean in those parts is from 40 years ago and it seemed warm then.....

I appreciate all the information both fishing and other.

Larry S
04-26-2010, 08:13 AM
Robert:
An excellent book is "Fly Fishing Boston - a complete saltwater guide from Rhode
Island to Maine" by Terry Tessein. Around $20. Has a chapter on the Vineyard. From
my experiences in the Maine salt, you'll want waders, stripping basket, bug dope, and wire
leaders in case the blues are running.
Larry S

Larry S
04-26-2010, 10:39 AM
Robert:
You have a pm.
Larry S