PDA

View Full Version : Lake Davis Ice Out 2010

jayclarkflyfishing
04-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Finally the ice is coming off the lake.The north end is free of ice and there is plenty of open water on the eastern shore.Water is a cold 38 degrees but there were plenty of fish jumping and I did manage to land a few in a couple hours of fishing.A county plow was plowing the road above Mallard but Honker has a foot of snow covering the parking area.The west side road is presumably snow covered still and will be impassible for a while yet.So,no boat access yet but for those that like freeze tubing go for it!!

Come on up and have a great time on Davis!!

Jay

bigfly
04-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Jay, Woo hoo! Spring is creeping closer every day. Don't you freeze tube? See you on the water.

Jim

michaeln
04-22-2010, 06:01 PM
Monday morning I stood in that cold water casting for about 3 hours. It was cold enough I had to keep clearing ice and frozen sticks and weeds from my guides (dunking the rod seemed the easiest and fastest), but man did my feet get cold!

I think I am gonna give it another week or two and then hit it with my pram.

Troutstalker55B
04-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Jay,

If anyone is gonna catch em I figured it would be you, I'm so stoked! Great talking to you today - We now know who the players are and who the wanna bees is - Hammer down Bro!

Jon.

michaeln
04-22-2010, 06:48 PM
I think I must be one of the wanna bees. :tear:

SHigSpeed
04-22-2010, 07:37 PM
I'm all about freeze-tubing! I'd love to be out there but I'm making another run to Pyramid tomorrow. Weather looks promising at either lake tho.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2528/4123034297_2d1c31e76d.jpg

_SHig

jayclarkflyfishing
04-22-2010, 09:40 PM
I have done my fair share of freeze tubing but I avoid it if I can.Honestly a tube isn't needed right now as the fish are close to shore.

I'm headed to the big lake tomorrow to see if I can tangle with a big cutt,but I'll be at Davis as much as possible(read ALOT) through out the season.

Jon-Good talking with you as well.Let's fish!!

Jay

Blueracer
04-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Uhhh...I'd take fishing at any location tomorrow. But sadly enough, I will be working.

Troutstalker55B
04-23-2010, 06:47 AM
Michaeln,

Your not a wanna bee, we were talking about some lower than life folks from around here
who like to poach - Just a little bench fishing between Jay and I. As far as Lake Davis goes, all we need now is our first brood of blood midges!

OceanSunfish
04-23-2010, 09:41 PM
It's been a loooooong winter! The snow was coming down pretty good all over Tahoe a few nights ago....

I used to go annually to Davis Lake on the last Saturday in April and I don't recall there being strong evidence of winter at that time! Some years, the water would already be touching 50-52 degrees!

All in all, I like the reports of all the snow and it will prolong the season quite nicely giving everyone an opportunity to play at Pyramid for awhile longer and still get a good chunk of the season at Davis Lake.

A prolonged colder spring also gives me a shot at getting up there a bit later too after I get all the WORK done! Ugh.

Are the water folks holding back and letting the lake fill up?

SHigSpeed
04-23-2010, 10:30 PM
It's been a loooooong winter! The snow was coming down pretty good all over Tahoe a few nights ago....

I used to go annually to Davis Lake on the last Saturday in April and I don't recall there being strong evidence of winter at that time! Some years, the water would already be touching 50-52 degrees!

All in all, I like the reports of all the snow and it will prolong the season quite nicely giving everyone an opportunity to play at Pyramid for awhile longer and still get a good chunk of the season at Davis Lake.

A prolonged colder spring also gives me a shot at getting up there a bit later too after I get all the WORK done! Ugh.

Hit up the P today. Saw a guy in our group catch a 14 lb 3 oz brute!

Biggest for me was 24". Gotta say that the sluggish fight of the Lahontans has me jonesin' for some spunky Davis 'bows.

I'm sure a 24" 'bow would have me into my backing before I knew it!

_SHig

Troutstalker55B
04-24-2010, 06:11 AM
Shig,

That is the SO true when it comes to those Lake Davis Rainbows, my old Hardy reel use to sound like a wide open chainsaw - Those fish siezed that reel up for good:( / :) When I hook a fish there in a foot of water, they really turn on the power band and go all out!

See ya in June for the Damsels!

Jon.

jayclarkflyfishing
04-24-2010, 07:11 AM

I wouldn't count on it until Oroville fills up and the south states thirst is reduced.Water levels will come up but I expect by August the lake will be down to where it was this past fall.

It will still be a great season!

EBAC
04-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Jonny got your reply awhile back and would love to come up for the damsel hatch let me know when is good for ya and i would love to catch up will be at eagle sometime around the opener so maybe even then hopefully talk to ya soon buddy!